Hubs and Spokes, and Free Trade in the Americas
AbstractThis paper compares two possible formats for free trade in the Americas: a system of spokes surrounding a U.S. hub, and a free trade area. The paper identifies the sources of welfare change, and it argues that a country's attitude towards a system depends on whether the arrangement is a complement or a substitute trading club. The paper argues also that rent-seeking activities, and costs of administration and transportation, are likely to be higher in a hub-and-spoke system than in a free trade area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4198.
Date of creation: Oct 1992
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald J. Wonnacott, 1982. "Controlling Trade and Foreign Investment in the Canadian Economy: Some Proposals," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 15(4), pages 567-85, November.
- David Cox & Richard G. Harris, 1986. "A Quantitative Assessment of the Economic Impact on Canada of Sectoral Free Trade with the United States," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(3), pages 377-94, August.
- Ronald J. Wonnacott, 1975. "Canada's Future in a World of Trade Blocs: A Proposal," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 1(1), pages 118-130, Winter.
- Carsten Kowalczyk, 1990. "Welfare and Customs Unions," NBER Working Papers 3476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Ronald W, 1969. "Tariffs and Trade in General Equilibrium: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 418-24, June.
- Hideo Konishi & Carsten Kowalczyk & Tomas Sjostrom, 2003. "Free Trade, Customs Unions, and Transfers," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 568, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Diego Puga & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Preferential Trading Arrangements and Industrial Location,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0267, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J., 1997. "Preferential trading arrangements and industrial location," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 347-368, November.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Preferential Trading Arrangements and Industrial Location," CEPR Discussion Papers 1309, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Djankov, Simeon, 1997.
"Effective protection and investment incentives in Egypt and Jordan during the transition to free trade With Europe,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 281-291, February.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1996. "Effective Protection and Investment Incentives in Egypt and Jordan During the Transition to Free Trade with Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1415, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yildiz, Halis Murat, 2012.
"Hub and Spoke Trade Agreements under Oligopoly with Asymmetric Costs,"
36501, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Feb 2012.
- Yildiz, Halis Murat, 2011. "Hub and spoke trade agreements under oligopoly with asymmetric costs," MPRA Paper 34964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Deltas, George & Desmet, Klaus & Facchini, Giovanni, 2006. "Hub-and-Spoke Free Trade Areas," CEPR Discussion Papers 5960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Furusawa, Taiji & Konishi, Hideo, 2007.
"Free trade networks,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 310-335, July.
- Iván Martín, 2004. "La inversión extranjera directa en los países del Maghreb en el marco de la Asociación Euromediterránea: ¿el eslabón perdido?," International Trade 0405001, EconWPA.
- Pasadilla, Gloria, 2004. "East Asian Cooperation: The ASEAN View," Discussion Papers DP 2004-27, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Carsten Kowalczyk & Raymond Riezman, 2009. "Trade Agreements," CESifo Working Paper Series 2660, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kevin Gallagher, 2011. "Trading Away Stability and Growth: United States Trade Agreements in Latin America," Working Papers wp266, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Soo Yuen Chong & Jung Hur, 2007.
"Overlapping Free Trade Agreements of Singapore-USA-Japan : A Computational Analysis,"
Trade Working Papers
21931, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Chong Soo Yuen & Jung Hur, 2007. "Overlapping Free Trade Agreements of Singapore-USA-Japan: A Computational Analysis," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0711, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.