International Fiscal Policy Coordination and Competition: An Exposition
AbstractThe paper highlights key considerations necessary for the analysis of international tax competition and the desirability of international tax harmonization. The analysis of a Nash-Cournot international tax competition is carried out for (1) competing countries that cannot exercise significant market power in the world economy when setting tax rates, (2) competing countries that incorporate the indirect effect on world prices into the tax design and (3) competing governments that are unable to commit themselves to a preannounced path of tax for the entire future. The discussion is carried out by using basic principles of international taxation under full integration of goods and capital world markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3779.
Date of creation: Feb 1995
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter A. Diamond & J. A. Mirrlees, 1968. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production," Working papers 22, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1991.
"Tax Harmonization and Tax Competition in Europe,"
NBER Working Papers
3248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1986. "Taxation of Investment and Savings in a World Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1086-1102, December.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1987.
"International Policy Coordination in Interdependent Monetary Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1988. "International policy coordination in interdependent monetary economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 1-23, August.
- Kehoe, Patrick J, 1989. "Policy Cooperation among Benevolent Governments May Be Undesirable," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 289-96, April.
- Frenkel, Jacob & Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1992.
"International taxation in an integrated world,"
23266, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512149, January.
- Jacob Frenkel & Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 1991. "International Taxation in an Integrated World," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061430, January.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1985. "Tax policy in open economies," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 313-374 Elsevier.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Bianconi, Marcelo, 1992.
"The International Transmission of Tax Policies in a Dynamic World Economy,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 49-72, November.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Marcelo Bianconi, 1993. "The International Transmission of Tax Policies in a Dynamic World Economy," NBER Working Papers 4086, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Luis Jiménez & Javier Campos, 2004. "Efectos de la descentralización de la política de defensa de la competencia," Documentos de trabajo conjunto ULL-ULPGC 2004-09, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas de la ULPGC.
- Marco Celentani & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Klaus Desmet, 2004.
"Endogenous Policy Leads to Inefficient Risk Sharing,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(3), pages 758-787, July.
- Marco Celentani & J. Ignacio Conde & Klaus Desmet, 2002. "Endogenous policy leads to inefficient risk sharing," Economics Working Papers 593, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 2003.
- Celentani, Marco & Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Desmet, Klaus, 2003. "Endogenous Policy Leads to Inefficient Risk-Sharing," CEPR Discussion Papers 3866, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rodrik, D. & Ypersele, T.P.M.C. van, 1999. "When does International Capital Mobility Require Tax Coordination?," Discussion Paper 1999-27, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.