Decomposing the Welfare Costs of Capital Tax Distortions: The Importance of Risk Assumptions
AbstractThis paper analyzes the implications of alterative risk assumptions for estimates of the distorting effects of the corporate tax in Canada. These distortions are decomposed into three broad categories: inter-asset distortions; inter-industry distortions; and inter-temporal distortions. Estimates of marginal effective corporate tax rates are used in a multi-asset general equilibrium model to evaluate the costs of the various distortions, with marginal effective tax rates calculated under alterative risk assumptions. Results indicate that assessments of the relative importance of these distortions are sensitive to alterative risk assumptions used in marginal tax rate calculations. The paper also explores the sensitivity of results to key elasticity parameters in the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3628.
Date of creation: Feb 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon, Roger H & Wilson, John Douglas, 1989.
"Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 427-39, June.
- Roger H. Gordon & John D. Wilson, 1990. "Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income," NBER Working Papers 1992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1984.
"The Taxation of Risky Assets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(1), pages 20-39, February.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1983. "Corporate Taxation in the United States," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(2), pages 451-514.
- Hamilton, Bob & Whalley, John, 1985. "Tax treatment of housing in a dynamic sequenced general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 157-175, July.
- Jack M. Mintz, 1987.
"An Empirical Estimate of Corportate Tax Refundability and Effective Tax Rates,"
Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU)
87-02, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Mintz, Jack M, 1988. "An Empirical Estimate of Corporate Tax Refundability and Effective Tax Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(1), pages 225-31, February.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1985. "Taxation of Corporate Capital Income: Tax Revenues versus Tax Distortions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Jack M. Mintz & Douglas D. Purvis, 1987. "Taxation and Business Activity: A Survey," Working Papers 696, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce & Ken McKenzie & Jack Mintz, 1987. "Marginal Effective Tax Rates for Capital in the Canadian Mining Industry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1985. "General Equilibrium Analysis of Tax Policies," NBER Chapters, in: A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation, pages 6-24 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Daly & Jack Jung, 1987. "The Taxation of Corporate Investment Income in Canada: An Analysis of Marginal Effective Tax Rates," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(3), pages 555-87, August.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce & Jack Mintz, 1984. "Taxation, Inflation, and the Effective Marginal Tax Rate on Capital in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(1), pages 62-79, February.
- Duanjie Chen & Jack M. Mintz, 2008. "Limited Horizons: The 2008 Report on Federal and Provincial Budgetary Tax Policies," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 270, July.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.