The Impact of M&A on Technical Efficiency, Scale Efficiency and Productivity Change in the Polish Banking Sector: a Non-Parametric Approach
AbstractIn recent decades, the banking sectors of many transition countries have been subject to globalization, deregulation and liberalization similar to that in industrialized countries such as the EU countries and the USA. Those changes are linked with merger and acquisition (M&A) processes aimed at increasing banking competitiveness and efficiency. Banking efficiency is a crucial issue for transition countries. For most advanced transition ountries, the question of the degree of their banks’ competitiveness and efficiency has become an important issue in relation to EU accession. This paper examines the impact of M&A on the efficiency of Polish commercial banks in the period 1997-2001. The aim of this paper is to check whether M&A increased the efficiency and productivity of commercial banks. This paper employs Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA)3 to investigate technical efficiency, scale efficiency and productivity. It considers all the models that are based on the output measures of technical and scale efficiency. Productivity growth has been analyzed via the Malmquist output-based productivity index (M), which was divided into technical efficiency change (E) and technological change (TC).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute in its series National Bank of Poland Working Papers with number 29.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.nbp.pl/Homen.aspx?f=en/publikacje/materialy_i_studia/informacja_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Efficiency; DEA; Merger and Acquisition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Resti, Andrea, 1997. "Evaluating the cost-efficiency of the Italian Banking System: What can be learned from the joint application of parametric and non-parametric techniques," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 221-250, February.
- Löthgren, Mickael & Tambour, Magnus, 1996. "Alternative Approaches to Estimate Returns to Scale in DEA- Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 90, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Daniel Stavarek, 2005. "Efficiency of Banks in Regions at Different Stage of European Integration Process," Finance 0502020, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ewa Szymecka).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.