Alternative Approaches to Estimate Returns to Scale in DEA- Models
AbstractThis paper presents a number of approaches to estimate returns to scale properties of general multiple-input muliple-output technologies. Both qualitative scale efficiency-properties and quantitative scale elasticity-properties are covered. The estimation approaches considered are based on data envelopment analysis (DEA)-models using primal production data on inputs and outputs. We propose an approach to estimate scale elasticity based on the primal efficiency problem. This alternative approach is derived as a direct approximation of the differentials of the efficiency measures in the scale elasticity definition. The different approaches to estimate scale efficiency and scale elasticity are exemplified and compared using a small dataset.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 90.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Jan 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Data envelopment analysis; scale efficiency; scale elasticity; dual linear programming;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1978.
"Generalized Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants,"
Working Paper Series
17, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Forsund, Finn R & Hjalmarsson, Lennart, 1979. "Generalised Farrell Measures of Efficiency: An Application to Milk Processing in Swedish Dairy Plants," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 294-315, June.
- Chang, Kuo-Ping & Guh, Yeah-Yuh, 1991. "Linear production functions and the data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 215-223, May.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Thrall, R. M., 1992. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 74-84, October.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1994. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis: A comment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 379-382, December.
- Forsund, F.R., 1995. "A Note on the Calculation of the Scale Elasticity in DEA Models," Memorandum 34/1995, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1977. "Economies of Scale in Multi-Output Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 91(3), pages 481-93, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Joe Zhu & Zhao-Han Shen, 1995. "A discussion of testing DMUs' returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 590-596, March.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1999.
"Estimating returns to scale using non-parametric deterministic technologies: A new method based on goodness-of-fit,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 206-214, February.
- KERSTENS, Kristiaan & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1997. "Estimating returns to scale using nonparametric deterministic technologies : a new method based on goodness-of-fit," CORE Discussion Papers 1997013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2003. "The Impact of M&A on Technical Efficiency, Scale Efficiency and Productivity Change in the Polish Banking Sector: a Non-Parametric Approach," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 29, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2002. "Non-parametric tests of returns to scale," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 115-132, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.