Ownership Structure of Firms and Their Export Performance: Evidence from Korea
AbstractThe central objective of our paper is to empirically examine the relationship between the ownership structure of firms and their export performance using data from Korea. Due to growing globalization, export performance has become a highly influential determinant of firm performance. While a large and growing empirical literature investigates the relationship between the ownership structure and overall performance of firms, there are almost no studies which delve into the issue of whether the concentration of ownership has a positive or negative effect on export performance. The primary contribution of our study is to help remedy this serious gap in the empirical literature on ownership and performance. Our empirical results indicate that firms with more concentrated ownership are more likely to be exporters and export more.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre in its series Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series with number 1101.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Exports; ownership structure; logit analysis; Tobit regression; Korea;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-10-09 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2011-10-09 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2011-10-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2011-10-09 (International Trade)
- NEP-SBM-2011-10-09 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior," Papers 95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Seev Hirsch & Ilan Bijaoui, 1985. "R&D intensity and export performance: A micro view," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 121(2), pages 238-251, June.
- Himmelberg, C.P. & Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D., 1997.
"Understanding the Determinants of Mangerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance,"
97-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Himmelberg, Charles P. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Palia, Darius, 1999. "Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 353-384, September.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 2000. "Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," NBER Working Papers 7209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aw, B. -Y. & Hwang, A. R., 1995. "Productivity and the export market: A firm-level analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 313-332, August.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
- MATIJA ROJEC & JOŽE P. DAMIJAN & BORIS MAJCEN, 2004. "Export Propensity of Estonian and Slovenian Manufacturing Firms : Does Foreign Ownership Matter?," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(4), pages 33-54, July.
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Demsetz, Harold & Lehn, Kenneth, 1985. "The Structure of Corporate Ownership: Causes and Consequences," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1155-77, December.
- Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2008. "Foreign ownership, technological capabilities and clothing exports in Sri Lanka," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 29-39, February.
- Rajah Rasiah, 2007. "Export Orientation and Technological Intensities in Auto Parts Firms in East and Southeast Asia: Does Ownership Matter?," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 6(2), pages 55-76, May.
- Igor Filatotchev & Johannes Stephan & Bj�rn Jindra, 2008. "Ownership structure, strategic controls and export intensity of foreign-invested firms in transition economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(7), pages 1133-1148, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magdalene Lim).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.