The Measurement of Diversity
AbstractThe notion of diversity is an issue that is of relevance in several contexts. For example, the biodiversity of a given ecological environment and the diversity of the options available to a decision maker have attracted some attention in recent research. This paper provides an axiomatic approach to the measurement of diversity. We characterize two nested classes of ordinal measures of diversity and an important member of these classes. We prove that the latter special case is equivalent to a diversity ordering proposed by Weitzman.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 2001-17.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
diversity; distance measures;
Other versions of this item:
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Nehring & Clemens Puppe, 2002.
"A Theory of Diversity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1155-1198, May.
- Barbera, S. & Bossert, W. & Pattanaik, P.K., 2001.
"Ranking Sets of Objects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-02, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Prasanta K. Pattanaik & Yongsheng Xu,, .
"On Diversity and Freedom of Choice,"
97/18, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1991.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1553, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nitzan, Shmuel I. & Pattanaik, Prasanta K., 1984. "Median-based extensions of an ordering over a set to the power set: An axiomatic characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 252-261, December.
- Walter Bossert & Conchita D’Ambrosio & Eliana Laferrara, 2006.
"A Generalized Index of Fractionalization,"
313, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita & LA FERRARA, Eliana, 2008. "A Generalized Index of Fractionalization," Cahiers de recherche 2008-01, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita & LA FERRARA, Eliana, 2008. "A Generalized Index of Fractionalization," Cahiers de recherche 01-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 2003. "Diversity and dissimilarity in lines and hierarchies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 167-183, April.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2004.
"Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance,"
Development Working Papers
193, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2003. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2028, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2004. "Ethnic Diversity and Economic Performance," NBER Working Papers 10313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcello Basili & Stefano Vannucci, 2013.
"Diversity as width,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 913-936, March.
- Vito Peragine & Antonio Romero-Medina, 2006.
"On Preference, Freedom and Diversity,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 29-40, August.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2006.
"Conceptions of freedom and ranking opportunity sets. A typology,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
200611, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Antoinette Baujard, 2007. "Conceptions of freedom and ranking opportunity sets. A typology," Post-Print halshs-00294466, HAL.
- Martin Hees, 2010. "The specific value of freedom," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 687-703, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.