Diversity as width
AbstractIt is argued that if a finite partially ordered population is given, and incomparability is taken as the relevant type of dissimilarity, then diversity comparisons between subpopulations may be conveniently based on widths namely on the maximum number of pairwise incomparable units they include. We introduce two width-based rankings. The first one is the plain width-ranking of subposets as induced by width computation. The second one is the undominated width-ranking of subposets namely the ranking induced by the sizes of undominated subposets. Simple axiomatic characterizations of the foregoing rankings are provided. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- D00 - Microeconomics - - General - - - General
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
- Z00 - Other Special Topics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grabisch, Michel, 2006.
"Representation of preferences over a finite scale by a mean operator,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 131-151, September.
- Michel Grabisch, 2006. "Representation of preferences over a finite scale by a mean operator," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00179069, HAL.
- Vito Peragine & Antonio Romero-Medina, 2001.
"On Preference, Freedom and Diversity,"
0003, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Nov 2001.
- Nehring,K. und C.Puppe, 1999.
"A Theory of Diversity,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
605, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Pattanaik, Prasanta K. & Xu, Yongsheng, 2000.
"On diversity and freedom of choice,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 123-130, September.
- Stefano Vannucci, 2006. "On Concept Lattices of Efficiently Solvable Voting Protocols," Department of Economics University of Siena 489, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Sebastian Bervoets & Nicolas Gravel, 2003.
"Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: an Axiomatic approach,"
IDEP Working Papers
0308, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Bervoets, Sebastian & Gravel, Nicolas, 2007. "Appraising diversity with an ordinal notion of similarity: An axiomatic approach," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 259-273, May.
- Nicolas Gravel & Sebastian Bervoets, 2004. "Appraising Diversity with an Ordinal Notion of Similarity: An Axiomatic Approach," Working Papers 2004.45, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- BARBERA, Salvador & BOSSERT, Walter & PATTANAIK, Prasanta K., 2001.
"Ranking Sets of Objects,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-02, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bossert, W. & Pattanaik, P.K. & Xu, Y., 2001.
"The Measurement of Diversity,"
Cahiers de recherche
2001-17, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998. "The Noah's Ark Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1279-1298, November.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1992.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 363-405, May.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1991. "On Diversity," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1553, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Nehring, Klaus & Puppe, Clemens, 2003. "Diversity and dissimilarity in lines and hierarchies," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 167-183, April.
- Pattanaik, P.K. & Xu, Y., 1995.
"On preference and Freedom,"
The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management
95-1a, The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management. University of California Riverside.
- Martin van Hees, 2004. "Freedom of choice and diversity of options: Some difficulties," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 253-266, 02.
- Weitzman, M.L., 1992. "Diversity Functions," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1610, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Stefano Vannucci, 2011. "Widwast Choice," Department of Economics University of Siena 629, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Gaetano Gaballo & Ernesto Savaglio, 2012.
"On revealed diversity,"
254, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.