On Preference, Freedom and Diversity
AbstractWe study the problem of ranking sets of options in terms of freedom of choice. We propose a framework in which both the diversity of the options and the preferences of the agent over the options do play a role. We formulate some axioms that reflect these two aspects of freedom and we study their logical implications. Two diifferent criteria for ranking sets are characterized, which generalize some of the rankings proposed so far in the literature
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 27 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Other versions of this item:
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BOSSERT, Walter & PATTANAIK, Prasanta K. & XU, Yongsheng, 2001.
"The Measurement of Diversity,"
Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques
2001-17, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bossert, W. & Pattanaik, P.K. & Xu, Y., 2001. "The Measurement of Diversity," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 2001-17, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Sen, Amartya, 1991. "Welfare, preference and freedom," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 50(1-2), pages 15-29, October.
- Antonio Romero-Medina, 2001. "More on preference and freedom," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 179-191.
- Peragine, Vitorocco, 1999. " The Distribution and Redistribution of Opportunity," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 37-69, February.
- Jones, Peter & Sugden, Robert, 1982. "Evaluating choice," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 47-65, June.
- Sebastiano Bavetta & Vitorocco Peragine, 2006. "Measuring autonomy freedom," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 31-45, January.
- Bossert Walter & Pattanaik Prasanta K. & Xu Yongsheng, 1994. "Ranking Opportunity Sets: An Axiomatic Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 326-345, August.
- Marcello Basili & Stefano Vannucci, 2013.
"Diversity as width,"
Social Choice and Welfare, Springer,
Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 913-936, March.
- Marcello Basili & Stefano Vannucci, 2007. "Diversity as Width," Department of Economics University of Siena, Department of Economics, University of Siena 500, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Ricardo Arlegi, 2005. "Freedom Of Choice And Conflict Resolution," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra, Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0502, Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.