A Flexible Semiparametric Model for Time Series
AbstractWe consider approximating a multivariate regression function by an affine combination of one-dimensional conditional component regression functions. The weight parameters involved in the approximation are estimated by least squares on the first-stage nonparametric kernel estimates. We establish asymptotic normality for the estimated weights and the regression function in two cases: the number of the covariates is finite, and the number of the covariates is diverging. As the observations are assumed to be stationary and near epoch dependent, the approach in this paper is applicable to estimation and forecasting issues in time series analysis. Furthermore, the methods and results are augmented by a simulation study and illustrated by application in the analysis of the Australian annual mean temperature anomaly series. We also apply our methods to high frequency volatility forecasting, where we obtain superior results to parametric methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics in its series Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers with number 17/12.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-09-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-09-16 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2012-09-16 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen, 2006.
"Nonparametric Transformation to White Noise,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2006/503, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Enno Mammen & Oliver Linton & J Nielsen, 2000.
"The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1999. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 300, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & N Nielsen, 2000. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm under Weak Conditions," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/386, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1997. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm Under Weak Conditions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1160, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2007. "Least Squares Model Averaging," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1175-1189, 07.
- Andrews, Donald W.K., 1995. "Nonparametric Kernel Estimation for Semiparametric Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 560-586, June.
- Yongmiao Hong, 2000. "Generalized spectral tests for serial dependence," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(3), pages 557-574.
- Terasvirta, Timo & Tjostheim, Dag & Granger, Clive W. J., 2010. "Modelling Nonlinear Economic Time Series," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199587155.
- Linton, Oliver B., 2000.
"Efficient Estimation Of Generalized Additive Nonparametric Regression Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 502-523, August.
- Oliver Linton, 2000. "Efficient estimation of generalized additive nonparametric regression models," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 314, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Liang, Hua & Zou, Guohua & Wan, Alan T. K. & Zhang, Xinyu, 2011. "Optimal Weight Choice for Frequentist Model Average Estimators," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 106(495), pages 1053-1066.
- Linton, Oliver & Sancetta, Alessio, 2009. "Consistent estimation of a general nonparametric regression function in time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 70-78, September.
- Zudi Lu, 2001. "Asymptotic Normality of Kernel Density Estimators under Dependence," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 447-468, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.