On the Bimodality of the Exact Distribution of the TSLS Estimator
AbstractNelson and Startz (Econometrica, 58, 1990), Maddala and Jong (Econometrica, 60, 1992) and Wolgrom (Econometrica, 69, 2001) have shown that the density of the two-stage least squares estimator may be bimodal in a just identified structural equation. This paper further investigates the conditions under which bimodality may arise in a just over-identified model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics in its series Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers with number 14/05.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Forchini, G., 2006. "On The Bimodality Of The Exact Distribution Of The Tsls Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 932-946, October.
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forchini, Giovanni & Hillier, Grant, 2003.
"Conditional Inference For Possibly Unidentified Structural Equations,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(05), pages 707-743, October.
- Forchini, G. & Hillier, G.H., 1999. "Conditional inference for possibly unidentified structural equations," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 9906, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Woglom, Geoffrey, 2001. "More Results on the Exact Small Sample Properties of the Instrumental Variable Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1381-89, September.
- Maddala, G S & Jeong, Jinook, 1992. "On the Exact Small Sample Distribution of the Instrumental Variable Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 181-83, January.
- Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988.
"Some Further Results on the Exact Small Sample Properties of the Instrumental Variable Estimator,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0068, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Charles R & Startz, Richard, 1990. "Some Further Results on the Exact Small Sample Properties of the Instrumental Variable Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 967-76, July.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "Some Furthere Results On The Exact Small Sample Properties Of The Instrumental Variable Estimator," Working Papers 88-06, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "Some Furthere Results On The Exact Small Sample Properties Of The Instrumental Variable Estimator," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 88-06, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Phillips, P C B, 1980. "The Exact Distribution of Instrumental Variable Estimators in an Equation Containing n + 1 Endogenous Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 861-78, May.
- Hillier, Grant, 2006. "Yet More On The Exact Properties Of Iv Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 913-931, October.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 2006.
"A Remark On Bimodality And Weak Instrumentation In Structural Equation Estimation,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 947-960, October.
- Peter C. B. Phillips, 2005. "A Remark on Bimodality and Weak Instrumentation in Structural Equation Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1540, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Poskitt, D.S. & Skeels, C.L., 2007. "Approximating the distribution of the two-stage least squares estimator when the concentration parameter is small," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 217-236, July.
- Forchini, Giovanni, 2007. "The exact distribution of the TSLS estimator for a non-Gaussian just-identified linear structural equation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 117-123, April.
- Jan F. Kiviet, 2012.
"Identification and Inference in a Simultaneous Equation under Alternative Information Sets and Sampling Schemes,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
12-128/III, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jan F. KIVIET, 2012. "Identification and Inference in a Simultaneous Equation Under Alternative Information Sets and Sampling Schemes," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 1207, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.