A Risk Management Approach for Portfolio Insurance Strategies
AbstractControlling and managing potential losses is one of the main objectives of the Risk Management. Following Ben Ameur and Prigent (2007) and Chen et al. (2008), and extending the first results by Hamidi et al. (2009) when adopting a risk management approach for defining insurance portfolio strategies, we analyze and illustrate a specific dynamic portfolio insurance strategy depending on the Value-at-Risk level of the covered portfolio on the French stock market. This dynamic approach is derived from the traditional and popular portfolio insurance strategy (Cf. Black and Jones, 1987 ; Black and Perold, 1992) : the so-called "Constant Proportion Portfolio Insurance" (CPPI). However, financial results produced by this strategy crucially depend upon the leverage - called the multiple - likely guaranteeing a predetermined floor value whatever the plausible market evolutions. In other words, the unconditional multiple is defined once and for all in the traditional setting. The aim of this article is to further examine an alternative to the standard CPPI method, based on the determination of a conditional multiple. In this time-varying framework, the multiple is conditionally determined in order to remain the risk exposure constant, even if it also depends upon market conditions. Furthermore, we propose to define the multiple as a function of an extended Dynamic AutoRegressive Quantile model of the Value-at-Risk (DARQ-VaR). Using a French daily stock database (CAC 40) and individual stocks in the period 1998-2008), we present the main performance and risk results of the proposed Dynamic Proportion Portfolio Insurance strategy, first on real market data and secondly on artificial bootstrapped and surrogate data. Our main conclusion strengthens the previous ones : the conditional Dynamic Strategy with Constant-risk exposure dominates most of the time the traditional Constant-asset exposure unconditional strategies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne in its series Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne with number 09034.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
CPPI; portfolio insurance; VaR; CAViaR; quantile regression; dynamic quantile model.;
Other versions of this item:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2009-06-17 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IAS-2009-06-17 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2009-06-17 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benjamin Hamidi & Bertrand Maillet & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2014. "A Dynamic AutoRegressive Expectile for Time-Invariant Portfolio Protection Strategies," Working Papers 2014-131, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Ben Ameur, H. & Prigent, J.L., 2014. "Portfolio insurance: Gap risk under conditional multiples," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 236(1), pages 238-253.
- Zieling, Daniel & Mahayni, Antje & Balder, Sven, 2014. "Performance evaluation of optimized portfolio insurance strategies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 212-225.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.