Value Chain Relatedness: Strategic Complementarities and Firm Performance
AbstractThis study extends the literature on relatedness and firm performance to consider customer side as well as technological side relatedness. Recent studies indicate the importance of each source of relatedness but yield ambiguous findings regarding their impacts on performance. Conjecturing this ambiguity reflects methodological limitations related to prior studies? use of survey data to develop measures of relatedness, we instead develop a secondary data method to measure technological and customer relatedness for a large sample of U.S. firms from 1984 to 2004. Estimating a model in which relatedness and firm performance are simultaneously determined, we find that, unlike prior studies, each source of relatedness has a positive direct effect on firm performance and a positive indirect effect that reflects complementarity between each source of relatedness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McColl School of Business, Queens University of Charlotte in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2012-03.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-10-27 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2012-10-27 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Wayne Gray, 1996. "The NBER Manufacturing Productivity Database," NBER Technical Working Papers 0205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Montgomery, Cynthia A. & Hariharan, S., 1991. "Diversified expansion by large established firms," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 71-89, January.
- Bowen, H.P. & Wiersema, M., 2007.
"International and product diversification: their interrelationship and impact on firm performance,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2007-6, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Harry P. Bowen & Margarethe Wiersema, 2009. "International and Product Diversification: Their Interrelationship and Impact on Firm Performance," Discussion Paper Series 2009-04, McColl School of Business, Queens University of Charlotte.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1995. "Complementarities and fit strategy, structure, and organizational change in manufacturing," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-208, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HP Bowen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.