Characteristics of and determinants of the density of contributions in a Private Social Security System
AbstractThis paper investigates previously unresearched issues pertaining to the well-known Chilean innovations in Social Security. Previous empirical studies of the Chilean system used aggregate and macro data, without attention to individual heterogeneity. This study uses new household survey data, linked with Social Security records for over 20 years, to analyze selected reform issues related to social security coverage and the density and continuity of contributions to the social security system. The results lead to a better understanding of the participation determinants and the distributional aspects of the Chilean system, lay the groundwork for policy changes, and illuminate implications of the system reforms for other countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center in its series Working Papers with number wp077.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 1248, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Phone: (734) 615-0422
Fax: (734) 647-4575
Web page: http://www.mrrc.isr.umich.edu/publications/papers/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Diamond, 2004. "Social Security," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Gert Wagner, .
"La Seguridad Social y el Programa de Pensión Mínima Garantizada,"
Documentos de Trabajo
133, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Gert Wagner, 1991. "La seguridad social y el programa de pensión mínima garantizada," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 18(1 Year 19), pages 33-91, June.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1996.
"The Missing Piece in Policy Analysis: Social Security Reform,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 1-14, May.
- Martin Feldstein, 1996. "The Missing Piece in Policy Analysis: Social Security Reform," NBER Working Papers 5413, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1998.
"Simulating the Privatization of Social Security in General Equilibrium,"
in: Privatizing Social Security, pages 265-311
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1996. "Simulating the Privatization of Social Security in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 5776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter S. Heller, 1998. "Rethinking Public Pension Reform Initiatives," IMF Working Papers 98/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Prof. Dr. Robert Holzmann, 1994. "Funded and Private Pensions for Eastern European Countries in Transition?," Public Economics 9405004, EconWPA.
- De Mesa, Alberto Arenas & Bertranou, Fabio, 1997. "Learning from social security reforms: Two different cases, Chile and Argentina," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-348, March.
- Ricardo Paredes & Pilar Romaguera & Andras Uthoff, 1987. "Modelos de capital humano y segmentación: test y nueva evidencia," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 14(2 Year 19), pages 335-372, December.
- Alberto Arenas de Mesa & David Bravo & Jere R. Behrman & Olivia S. Mitchell & Petra E. Todd, 2006. "The Chilean Pension Reform Turns 25: Lessons From the Social Protection Survey," NBER Working Papers 12401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- World Bank, 2007. "Chile - County Gender Assessment : Expanding Women's Work Choices to Enhance Chile's Economic Potential," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7639, The World Bank.
- Ximena Quintanilla, 2011. "Did Chileans Maximize Pensions when Choosing between PAYG and DC?," Working Papers 46, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Sep 2011.
- Marisa Bucheli & Alvaro Forteza & Ianina Rossi, 2007. "Work history and the access to contributory pensions. The case of Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1607, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Clement Joubert, 2010. "Dynamic labor supply and saving incentives in privatized pension systems: evidence from Chile," 2010 Meeting Papers 291, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luis Fernando Melo, .
"Determinantes de la elección de administradora de pensiones: primeras estimaciones a partir de agregados,"
Borradores de Economia
383, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Luis Fernando Melo, 2006. "Determinantes De La Elección De Administradora De Pensiones: Primeras Estimaciones A Partir De Agregados," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002315, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Alejandra Cox-Edwards & Estelle James, 2006. "Crowd-out, Adverse Selection and Information in Annuity Markets: Evidence from a New Retrospective Data Set in Chile," Working Papers wp147, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Estelle James & Guillermo Martinez & Augusto Iglesias, 2005. "The Payout Stage in Chile: Who Annuitizes and Why?," Working Papers 14, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised May 2007.
- Phuong, Nguyen Thi Thu & Castel, Paulette, 2009. "Voluntary pension system challenge of expanding coverage," Social Protection Discussion Papers 64277, The World Bank.
- Estelle James & Alejandra CoxEdwards & Augusto Iglesias, 2007. "The Impact of Private Participation on Disability Costs: Evidence from Chile," Working Papers wp161, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Estelle James & Augusto Iglesias Palau, 2006. "How to Integrate Disability Benefits into a System with Individual Accounts: The Chilean Model," Working Papers wp111, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- James, Estelle & Iglesias, Augusto & Cox Edwards, Alejandra, 2008. "Disability insurance with pre-funding and private participation : the Chilean model," Social Protection Discussion Papers 42268, The World Bank.
- Estelle James & Alejandra Cox Edwards & Rebeca Wong, 2012. "The Gender Impact of Pension Reform," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13046, The World Bank.
- Petra Todd & Viviana Vélez-Grajales, 2008. "How Pension Rules Affect Work and Contribution Patterns: A Behavioral Model of the Chilean Privatized Pension System," Working Papers wp193, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Clement Joubert, 2011. "Pension design with a large informal labor market: evidence from Chile," 2011 Meeting Papers 1136, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David Bravo Urrutia & Olivia S. Mitchell & Petra Todd, 2007. "Learning from the Chilean Experience: The Determinants of Pension Switching," Working Papers wp266, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Estelle James & Augusto Iglesias, 2006. "How to Integrate Disability Benefits into an Individual Account System: The Chilean Model," Working Papers 18, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised May 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MRRC Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.