The indirect effects of manufacturing internationalization on logistics - Evidence from the Italian districts
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to investigate the indirect impact of internationalisation process, undertaken by the district firms located in Veneto region (north-eastern Italy), on the logistics’ employment change within the same industrial districts. The results of the empirical analysis have showed that within the districts there is not a clear positive relationship between internationalisation and the employment growth in the logistics sector. This might be due, either to a strong insourcing of logistics activities by district firms, or to a trend of outsourcing such activities to logistics suppliers located outside the industrial districts. The paper is organised into five sections. An introduction is followed by a literary review on the direct and indirect effects of manufacturing internationalisation on the home country, with a specific focus on logistics. The sample and the methodology are described in section three, section four presents the empirical results. Conclusions and further research questions follow.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Molise, Dept. SEGeS in its series Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers with number esdp07031.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 12 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
internationalisation; industrial districts; logistics sector; indirect effects.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L91 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Transportation: General
- R40 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:iniesr:490 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stefano Federico & Gaetano Alfredo Minerva, 2005. "Fear of Relocation? Assessing the Impact of Italy’s FDI on Local Employment," Working Papers 102, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Gunnar Fors & Robert E. Lipsey, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden,"
NBER Working Papers
6205, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(445), pages 1787-97, November.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 200, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomström, Magnus & Fors, Gunnar & Lipsey, Robert E., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and Employment: Home Country Experience in the United States and Sweden," Working Paper Series 490, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Sergio Mariotti & Marco Mutinelli & Lucia Piscitello, 2003. "Home country employment and foreign direct investment: evidence from the Italian case," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 419-431, May.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Slaughter, Matthew J., 2000. "Production transfer within multinational enterprises and American wages," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 449-472, April.
- Giuseppe Tattara, 2008. "The Internationalisation of Production Activities of Italian Industrial Districts," Working Papers 2008_13, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Lupi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.