Home country employment and foreign direct investment: evidence from the Italian case
AbstractThe present paper provides further insights on the relationship between home country employment and foreign direct investment (FDI) undertaken by national firms. The unit of analysis is each ensemble of firms operating in the same industrial sector and localised in the same geographical region. That allows us to capture both direct and indirect effects of foreign production on the parent's environment, which arise through the generation of linkages and externalities. Empirical evidence has been provided with reference to the Italian case in the decade 1985--95. Results suggest that the impact of outward FDI on the labour intensity of domestic production is negative in the case of vertical investment undertaken--especially by smaller firms--in less developed countries, and positive for horizontal and market-seeking investments in advanced countries. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tsou, Meng-Wen & Liu, Jin-Tan & Hammitt, James K. & Chang, Ching-Fu, 2013. "The impact of foreign direct investment in China on employment adjustments in Taiwan: Evidence from matched employer–employee data," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25, pages 68-79.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Castellani, Davide & Disdier, Anne-Célia, 2006.
"How Does Investing in Cheap Labour Countries Affect Performance at Home? France and Italy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5765, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani & Anne-Célia Disdier, 2006. "How Does Investing in Cheap Labour Countries Affect Performance at Home? France and Italy," Development Working Papers 215, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Giovanni Ferri & Giovanni Costa, 2007. "The determinants and employment effects of international outsourcing: the case of Italy," series 0016, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Metodi Matematici - Università di Bari, revised Apr 2007.
- Elia, Stefano & Maggi, Elena & Mariotti, Ilaria, 2011. "Does the transport industry gain from manufacturing internationalization? An empirical investigation on the Italian regions," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 49, pages 53-74.
- Sotiris Blanas, 2012.
"Intra-Firm Trade and Employment in US Manufacturing,"
Kiel Advanced Studies Working Papers
458, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sotiris Blanas, 2012. "Intra-Firm Trade and Employment in US Manufacturing," FIW Working Paper series 077, FIW.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Davide Castellani, 2003.
"Investments Abroad and Performance at Home Evidence from Italian Multinationals,"
Development Working Papers
180, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Castellani, Davide, 2004. "Investments Abroad and Performance at Home: Evidence from Italian Multinationals," CEPR Discussion Papers 4284, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Falk & Yvonne Wolfmayr, 2010. "The substitutability between parent company and foreign affiliate employment in Europe," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 87-100, February.
- Deschryvere, Matthias & Kotiranta, Annu, 2008. "Domestic Employment Effects of Offshoring: Empirical Evidence from Finland," Discussion Papers 1166, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Elia, Stefano & Mariotti, Ilaria & Piscitello, Lucia, 2009. "The impact of outward FDI on the home country's labour demand and skill composition," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 357-372, August.
- Maggi, Elena & Mariotti, Ilaria & Boscacci, Flavio, 2007. "The indirect effects of manufacturing internationalization on logistics - Evidence from the Italian districts," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp07031, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Lundan, Sarianna M., 2007. "The Home Country Effects of Internationalisation," Discussion Papers 1100, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Ilaria Mariotti & Giacinto Micucci & Pasqualino Montanaro, 2004. "Internationalisation strategies of Italian district SMEs: an analysis on firm-level data," ERSA conference papers ersa04p436, European Regional Science Association.
- Stefano Federico & Gaetano Alfredo Minerva, 2007.
"Outward FDI and local employment growth in Italy,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
613, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Stefano Federico & Gaetano Alfredo Minerva, 2008. "Outward FDI and Local Employment Growth in Italy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 295-324, July.
- Enrico Marelli, 2006. "Globalisation and local labour markets," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(1), pages 16-48, March.
- Cesare Imbriani & Rosanna Pittiglio & Filippo Reganati, 2011. "Outward Foreign Direct Investment and Domestic Performance: the Italian Manufacturing and Services Sectors," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 39(4), pages 369-381, December.
- Stefano Federico & Gaetano Alfredo Minerva, 2005. "Fear of Relocation? Assessing the Impact of Italy’s FDI on Local Employment," Working Papers 102, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Elia, Stefano & Maggi, Elena & Mariotti, Ilaria, 2009. "Does the logistics sector gain from manufacturing internationalisation? An empirical investigation on the Italian case," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp09052, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Damir Stokovac & Sandra Sokcevic & Iva Vidos, 2013. "Foreign Direct Investment As A Key Element Of Economic Growth," Interdisciplinary Management Research, Faculty of Economics in Osijek, Croatia, vol. 9, pages 391-402.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.