Culture and the Labour Market
AbstractThis paper explores the idea of the labour market as a social institution by examining the relationship between culture and labour market behaviour. The term culture, taken in its wide ethnographic sense, 'is that complex whole which includes knowledge, belief, art, morals, law, custom and any other capabilities acquired by man as a member of society' (Taylor , 1958, p.1). An attempt is made in this paper to clarify, from an economic perpective, the various aspects of culture; to identify in general terms the nature of the relationships between culture and economic behaviour; and to outline the implications of these relationships for some labour market issues. It is hoped that this description will provide a logical framework within which further studies of cultural effects can proceed.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Melbourne in its series Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number 582.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 4th Floor, FBE Building, Level 4, 111 Barry Street. Victoria, 3010, Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 5355
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
LABOUR MARKET ; CULTURE;
Other versions of this item:
- J4 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andreia Tolciu & Ulrich Zierahn, 2010.
"Women and Work: What Role Do Social Norms Play?,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
201009, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Marcel Fafchamps & David Stifel, 2009.
"Taboos, agriculture and poverty,"
Economics Series Working Papers
CSAE WPS/2009-15, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Schneck, Stefan, 2013.
"My Wage is Unfair! Just a Feeling or Comparison with Peers?,"
70096, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Schneck, Stefan, 2014. "My Wage is Unfair! Just a Feeling or Comparison with Peers?," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 245-273.
- Schneck, Stefan, 2014. "My Wage is Unfair! Just a Feeling or Comparison with Peers?," Review of Behavioral Economics, now publishers, vol. 1(3), pages 245-273, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aminata Doumbia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.