The social discount rate in cost benefit analysis: the British experience and lessons to be learned
AbstractApplication of the social discount rate to public sector projects is one of the most crucial parameters in cost benefit analysis. Because of its importance some countries have a formal discount rate and method of discounting policies. The United Kingdom was one of the earliest to adopt a policy on discounting which started in 1967 and it is still evolving. This paper looks at the evolution of the British discounting policy with a number of constructive critical remarks focussing on the magnitude of the current rate as well as the method of discounting. It concludes that present 3. 5% figure is rather low and discounting by using the declining rate is almost totally ineffective to care for future generations as compared with an alternative modified discounting which treats all generations in the same manner
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2006-19.
Date of creation: 13 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Cost-Benefit Analysis; Discounting; Future Generations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2006-10-28 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-PBE-2006-10-28 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Solow, Robert M, 1974. "The Economics of Resources or the Resources of Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 1-14, May.
- Gollier, Christian, 2002. "Time Horizon and the Discount Rate," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 463-473, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.