Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: a Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Micro-Simulation Approaches
AbstractWe have observed a flourishing literature in recent years on the use of CGE models to perform poverty and income distribution analysis. In this context two approaches have emerged and no rigorous comparison of the two approaches has been done yet. The first approach is the traditional representative agent that has been used for a number of year to do inter group distributional analysis and more recently some extensive poverty analysis and the second approach is the micro-simulation CGE approach which consists of using large number of households in CGE models to perform poverty and income distribution analysis. In this paper we used three simple CGE models with representative agent and micro-simulation approaches to verify - if when used in a context of poverty and income distribution impact analysis - the two approaches produces compatible results. We concentrated our effort in using three simple models and adding some heterogeneity from one to the other to verify if changes in hypothesis would modify the differences or similarities we would obtain in the exercise. The results are quit surprising insofar as either for poverty analysis or for income distribution, the two approaches produce systematic opposite results. Pro-poor policies in the representative agent CGE model become a pro-rich policy when being analysed in a micro-simulation CGE context. And these results appear to be quit robust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 0412.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Computable general equilibrium models; Measurement and Analysis of Poverty; Personal Income and Wealth Distribution;
Other versions of this item:
- Luc Savard, 2005. "Poverty and Inequality Analysis within a CGE Framework: A Comparative Analysis of the Representative Agent and Microsimulation Approaches," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(3), pages 313-331, 05.
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dorothée Boccanfuso & Bernard Decaluwé & Luc Savard, 2003. "Poverty, Income Distribution and CGE Modeling: Does the Functional Form of Distribution Matter?," Cahiers de recherche 0332, CIRPEE.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999.
"Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework,"
Cahiers de recherche
9909, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Decaluwe, B. & Patry, A. & Savard, L. & Thorbecke, E., 1999. "Poverty Analysis Within a General Equilibrium Framework," Papers 9909, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Jean-Marc Montaud, 2000. "Dotations en capital et pauvreté des ménages au Burkina Faso : une analyse en équilibre général calculable," Documents de travail 50, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Jean-Marc Montaud, 2003. "Dotations en capital et pauvreté des ménages au Burkina Faso : une analyse en Équilibre Général Calculable," Revue d’économie du développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 17(1), pages 43-71.
- Maurizio Bussolo & Jann Lay, 2003. "Globalisation and Poverty Changes in Colombia," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 226, OECD Publishing.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.