The relationship between costs and quality in nonprofit nursing homes
AbstractWe investigate the relationship between costs and quality in nonprofit nursing homes, a key issue in the present context of cost containment measures. In accordance with the economic theory of production, we estimate a three-inputs total cost function for nursing home services using data from 45 nursing homes in Switzerland between 2006 and 2010. Quality is measured by means of clinical indicators regarding process and outcome derived from the Minimum Data Set. We consider both composite and single quality indicators. Contrary to previous studies, we use panel data and control for unobserved heterogeneity. This allows to capture nursing homes specific features that may explain differences in structural quality or costs levels. We find evidence that poor levels of quality regarding outcome, as measured by the prevalence of severe pain and weight loss, lead to higher costs. Our results are robust to quality endogeneity concerns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by USI Università della Svizzera italiana in its series IdEP Economic Papers with number 1402.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2014
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: https://www.bul.sbu.usi.ch
nursing home costs; nonprofit; quality indicators; cost-quality tradeoff;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- L3 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-04-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2014-04-11 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-EUR-2014-04-11 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-GER-2014-04-11 (German Papers)
- NEP-HEA-2014-04-11 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. G. Evans, 1971. "'Behavioural' Cost Functions for Hospitals," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 4(2), pages 198-215, May.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2009.
"Price and quality in spatial competition,"
NIPE Working Papers
21/2009, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- William D. Spector & Thomas M. Selden & Joel W. Cohen, 1998. "The impact of ownership type on nursing home outcomes," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(7), pages 639-653.
- Hahn, Jinyong & Ham, John C. & Moon, Hyungsik Roger, 2011. "The Hausman test and weak instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(2), pages 289-299, February.
- Cremieux, Pierre-Yves & Ouellette, Pierre, 2001. "Omitted variable bias and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 271-282, March.
- John R. Bowblis & Stephen Crystal & Orna Intrator & Judith A. Lucas, 2012. "Response To Regulatory Stringency: The Case Of Antipsychotic Medication Use In Nursing Homes," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(8), pages 977-993, 08.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- John Bowblis & Judith Lucas, 2012. "The impact of state regulations on nursing home care practices," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 52-72, August.
- John Shea, 1996.
"Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Shea, 1997. "Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 348-352, May.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- David C. Grabowski, 2004. "A Longitudinal Study of Medicaid Payment, Private-Pay Price and Nursing Home Quality," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 5-26, 03.
- Di Giorgio, Laura & Filippini, Massimo & Masiero, Giuliano, 2014. "Implications of global budget payment system on nursing home costs," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 237-248.
- William Rogers, 1994. "Regression standard errors in clustered samples," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(13).
- Ronald R. Braeutigam & Mark V. Pauly, 1986. "Cost Function Estimation and Quality Bias: The Regulated Automobile Insurance Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(4), pages 606-617, Winter.
- Nils Gutacker & Chris Bojke & Silvio Daidone & Nancy Devlin & David Parkin & Andrew Street, 2011.
"Truly inefficient or providing better quality of care? Analysing the relationship between riskadjusted hospital costs and patients’ health outcomes,"
068cherp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Nils Gutacker & Chris Bojke & Silvio Daidone & Nancy J. Devlin & David Parkin & Andrew Street, 2013. "Truly Inefficient Or Providing Better Quality Of Care? Analysing The Relationship Between Risk‐Adjusted Hospital Costs And Patients' Health Outcomes," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(8), pages 931-947, 08.
- Juha Laine & Miika Linna & Unto Häkkinen & Anja Noro, 2005. "Measuring the productive efficiency and clinical quality of institutional long-term care for the elderly," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 245-256.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-56, December.
- A. Colin Cameron & Pravin K. Trivedi, 2010. "Microeconometrics Using Stata, Revised Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, number musr, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Tutino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.