Cost Function Estimation and Quality Bias: The Regulated Automobile Insurance Industry
AbstractThis article explores the implications of endogenous product quality (and therefore endogenous output) in the empirical estimation of cost functions for regulated automobile collision insurance firms. It contains a structural model of such a firm and provides an illustration of the types of biases that can result if data on quality of service are unavailable or otherwise omitted. The analysis shows how the directions of biases depend on the nature of the variations in the observed (nonquality) data. A new test suggests that such bias is present in insurance cost functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1986)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berger, Allen N & Cummins, J David & Weiss, Mary A, 1997.
"The Coexistence of Multiple Distribution Systems for Financial Services: The Case of Property-Liability Insurance,"
The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(4), pages 515-46, October.
- Allen N. Berger & J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 1995. "The Coexistence of Multiple Distributions Systems for Financial Services: The Case of Property-Liability Insurance," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania 95-13, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & J. David Cummins & Mary A. Weiss, 1995. "The coexistence of multiple distribution systems for financial services: the case of property-liability insurance," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 95-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Laura Di Giorgio & Massimo Filippini & Giuliano Masiero, 2014. "The relationship between costs and quality in nonprofit nursing homes," IdEP Economic Papers, USI UniversitÃ della Svizzera italiana 1402, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Wholey, Douglas & Feldman, Roger & Christianson, Jon B. & Engberg, John, 1996. "Scale and scope economies among health maintenance organizations," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 657-684, December.
- Helene Bouscasse & François Destandau & Serge Garcia, 2008. "Analyse économétrique des coûts des services d’eau potable et qualité des prestations offertes aux usagers," Working Papers - Cahiers du LEF, Laboratoire d'Economie Forestiere, AgroParisTech-INRA 2008-02, Laboratoire d'Economie Forestiere, AgroParisTech-INRA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.