A Longitudinal Study of Medicaid Payment, Private-Pay Price and Nursing Home Quality
AbstractQuality of care problems have persisted for decades within U.S. nursing homes. A potential state-level policy towards addressing this concern is the level of Medicaid payment. However, a number of studies have found that an increase in Medicaid payment is associated with lower quality in the presence of certificate-of-need (CON) laws and bed construction moratorium regulations, which serve as barriers to entry within the nursing home industry. Instead of relying on potentially confounded cross-sectional comparisons, this study presents novel, panel-based evidence that incorporates aggregate private-pay price data. These estimates almost uniformly indicate that an increase in the Medicaid payment rate raises nursing home quality. When compared to the earlier literature, these new findings are attributed to changes over time in the market for nursing home care related to the growth in nursing home substitutes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106603
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Grabowski, David C. & Gruber, Jonathan, 2007. "Moral hazard in nursing home use," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 560-577, May.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Siciliani, Luigi & Straume, Odd Rune, 2012.
"Can competition reduce quality?,"
Discussion Paper Series in Economics
9/2012, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2014. "Can Competition Reduce Quality?," CESifo Working Paper Series 4629, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Luigi Siciliani & Odd Rune Straume, 2012. "Can competition reduce quality?," NIPE Working Papers 05/2012, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- David C. Grabowski & Jonathan Gruber & Joseph J. Angelelli, 2006. "Nursing Home Quality as a Public Good," NBER Working Papers 12361, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David C. Grabowski & Jonathan Gruber, 2005. "Moral Hazard in Nursing Home Use," NBER Working Papers 11723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Spagnolo, Giancarlo & Bergman, Mats A. & Lundberg, Sofia, 2012. "Privatization and Quality: Evidence from Elderly Care in Sweden," SITE Working Paper Series 19, Stockholm Institute of Transition Economics, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Haizhen Lin, 2010. "Do Minimum Quality Standards Improve Quality? A Case Study of the Nursing Home Industry," Working Papers 2010-01, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.