Exports, R&D and Productivity in German Business Services Firms: A test of the Bustos-model
AbstractThis paper uses newly available data for German business services firms to test a hypothesis derived by Bustos (AER 2011) in a model that explains the decision of heterogeneous firms to export and to engage in R&D. Using a non-parametric test for first order stochastic dominance it is shown that, in line with this hypothesis, the productivity distribution of firms with exports and R&D dominates that of exporters without R&D, which in turn dominates that of firms that neither export nor engage in R&D. These results are in line with findings for firms from manufacturing industries. The model, therefore, seems to be useful to guide empirical work on the relation between exports, R&D and productivity for services firms, too.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics with number 247.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://leuphana.de/institute/ivwl.html
Exports; R&D; productivity; business services firms; Germany;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-09-09 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2012-09-09 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2012-09-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-EUR-2012-09-09 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2012-09-09 (Innovation)
- NEP-INT-2012-09-09 (International Trade)
- NEP-SBM-2012-09-09 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Vogel, 2009.
"The German Business Services Statistics Panel 2003 to 2007,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift fÃ¼r Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 129(3), pages 515-522.
- Alexander Vogel, 2009. "The German Business Services Statistics Panel 2003 to 2007," Working Paper Series in Economics 127, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Paula Bustos, 2009.
"Trade liberalization, exports and technology upgrading: Evidence on the impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinean firms,"
Economics Working Papers
1173, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Paula Bustos, 2011. "Trade Liberalization, Exports, and Technology Upgrading: Evidence on the Impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinian Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(1), pages 304-40, February.
- Paula Bustos, 2009. "Trade Liberalization, Exports and Technology Upgrading: Evidence on the Impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinean Firms," 2009 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 1029, Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Wagner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.