Exports, foreign direct investment, and productivity: Evidence from German firm level data
AbstractThis paper presents the first empirical test with German establishment level data of a hypothesis derived by Helpman, Melitz and Yeaple in a model that explains the decision of heterogeneous firms to serve foreign markets either trough exports or foreign direct investment: only the more productive firms choose to serve the foreign markets, and the most productive among this group will further choose to serve these markets via foreign direct investments. Using a non-parametric test for first order stochastic dominance it is shown that, in line with this hypothesis, the productivity distribution of foreign direct investors dominates that of exporters, which in turn dominates that of national market suppliers. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA) in its series HWWA Discussion Papers with number 318.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, D-20347 Hamburg
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/20
More information through EDIRC
Exports; foreign direct investment; productivity; heterogeneous firms; stochastic dominance;
Other versions of this item:
- Joachim Wagner, 2006. "Exports, foreign direct investment, and productivity: evidence from German firm level data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 347-349.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports, Foreign Direct Investment, and Productivity: Evidence from German Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504006, EconWPA.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports, foreign direct investment, and productivity: Evidence from German firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 8, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005.
"Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504005, EconWPA.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Sourafel Girma & Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2005. "Exports versus FDI: An Empirical Test," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(2), pages 193-218, July.
- GIRMA, Sourafel & GOERG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, 2004.
"Exports, international investment, and plant performance : evidence from a non-parametric test,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2004009, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Girma, Sourafel & Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2004. "Exports, international investment, and plant performance: evidence from a non-parametric test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 317-324, June.
- Sourafel Girma & Holger Görg & Eric Strobl, 2003. "Exports, International Investment, and Plant Performance: Evidence from a Non-Parametric Test," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 379, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2003.
"Heterogeneity and the FDI versus Export Decision of Japanese Manufacturers,"
NBER Working Papers
10052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2003. "Heterogeneity and the FDI versus export decision of Japanese manufacturers," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 448-467, December.
- Yeaple, Stephen & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2004.
"Export versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
3229098, Harvard University Department of Economics.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.