Antidumping Protection and Productivity of Domestic Firms: A firm level analysis
AbstractWe analyze the relationship between Antidumping (AD) Protection and the productivity of EU domestic firms in import-competing industries. For this purpose we identify a panel of domestic firms between 1993 and 2003 that at some point during this period are affected by AD initiations. Using a difference-in-difference approach, we find that AD measures result in improvements of measured productivity for domestic firms. Total Factor Productivity (TFP) of protected firms increases by 2% in the short-run and by 5% to 13% in the long-run. However, there is substantial heterogeneity across firms. The effect of protection depends on the initial "distance-to-the-frontier firm?in the industry. While protection raises TFP of "laggard?domestic firms, it lowers TFP for "efficient?firms that operate close to the efficiency frontier. These results are consistent with recent theoretical work supporting the view that trade policy, under certain conditions, can induce technological catching-up. While this paper evaluates the effectiveness of AD policy it does not engage in a welfare analysis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 19607.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Total Factor Productivity; Antidumping protection; technological catching-up;
Other versions of this item:
- KONINGS, Jozef & VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke, 2007. "Antidumping protection and productivity of domestic firms: a firm-level analysis," CORE Discussion Papers 2007064, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Josef, KONINGS & Hylke, VANDENBUSSCHE, 2007. "Antidumping Protection and Productivity of Domestic Firms : A firm level analysis," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007028, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-01-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2008-01-05 (International Trade)
- NEP-REG-2008-01-05 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.