Comparing the Impact of Credit Constraints on the Growth of SMEs in a Transition Country with an Established Market Economy
AbstractIn this paper we compare the role of internal finance on the growth of firms between a leading transition country, Slovenia and an established market economy, Belgium. We find that firms in Slovenia are more sensitive to internal financing constraints than their Belgian counterparts. This would suggest that although Slovenian firms are no longer recipients of soft budget constraints, capital markets are not yet functioning properly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 15004.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
financial constraints; transition economics; manufacturing;
Other versions of this item:
- John Hutchinson & Ana Xavier, 2006. "Comparing the Impact of Credit Constraints on the Growth of SMEs in a Transition Country with an Established Market Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 169-179, October.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-07-04 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ENT-2004-07-04 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-MFD-2004-07-04 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2004-07-04 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Gros & Marc Suhrcke, 2000.
"Ten Years After: What is Special about Transition Countries?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
327, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gros, Daniel & Suhrcke, Marc, 2000. "Ten years after : what is special about transition countries?," HWWA Discussion Papers 86, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Daniel Gros & Marc Suhrcke, 2000. "Ten years after: what is special about transition countries?," Working Papers 56, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/121576 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hans Degryse & Abe De Jong, 2001. "Investment Spending in the Netherlands: Asymmetric Information or Managerial Discretion?," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0114, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Klapper, Leora & Sarria-Allende, Virginia & Sulla, Victor, 2002. "Small and medium size enterprise financing in Eastern Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2933, The World Bank.
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- Alessandra Guariglia & Xiaoxuan Liu & Lina Song, .
"Internal Finance and Growth: Microeconometric Evidence on Chinese Firms,"
09/11, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Guariglia, Alessandra & Liu, Xiaoxuan & Song, Lina, 2011. "Internal finance and growth: Microeconometric evidence on Chinese firms," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 79-94, September.
- Guariglia, Alessandra & Liu, Xiaoxuan & Song, Lina, 2008. "Internal Finance and Growth: Microeconometric Evidence on Chinese Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 3808, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alessandra Guariglia & Xiaoxuan Liu & Lina Song, . "Internal Finance and Growth: Microeconometric Evidence on Chinese Firms," Discussion Papers 08/37, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Claude Berthomieu & Anastasia Ri, 2009. "Process and Effects of Financial Liberalization in Transition Countries: A Selective Literature Survey," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(4), pages 453-473, December.
- Prof. Dr. Michael Grimm & Simon Lange & Jun-Prof. Dr. Jann Lay, 2012. "Credit-constrained in Risky Activities? The Determinants of the Capital Stocks of Micro and Small Firms in Western Africa," GIGA Working Paper Series 185, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Walch, Florian & Dwenger, Nadja, 2011. "Tax Losses and Firm Investment: Evidence from Tax Statistics," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48699, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Michael Grimm & Simon Lange & Jann Lay, 2011. "Credit-constrained in risky activities? The determinants of capital stocks of micro and small firms in Western Africa," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 104, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Carlos Carreira & Filipe Silva, 2010.
"No Deep Pockets: Some Stylized Empirical Results On Firms' Financial Constraints,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 731-753, 09.
- Filipe Silva & Carlos Carreira, 2009. "No Deep Pockets: Some stylized results on firms' financial constraints," GEMF Working Papers 2009-06, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Mateev, Miroslav & Poutziouris, Panikkos & Ivanov, Konstantin, 2013. "On the determinants of SME capital structure in Central and Eastern Europe: A dynamic panel analysis," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 28-51.
- Zambaldi, Felipe & Aranha, Francisco & Lopes, Hedibert & Politi, Ricardo, 2011. "Credit granting to small firms: A Brazilian case," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 309-315, March.
- Kiss, Andreea N. & Danis, Wade M. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2012. "International entrepreneurship research in emerging economies: A critical review and research agenda," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 266-290.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2005.
"Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis,"
GEMF Working Papers
2005-07, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Blandina Oliveira & Adelino Fortunato, 2006. "Firm Growth and Liquidity Constraints: A Dynamic Analysis," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 139-156, October.
- Parinduri, Rasyad, 2012. "The effects of owners' family hardship on micro and small firms' growth: an evidence from Indonesia," MPRA Paper 39039, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Péter Hernádi & Mihály Ormos, 2012. "What managers think of capital structure and how they act: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 12(2), pages 47-71, December.
- Chiara Coluzzi & Annalisa Ferrando & Carmen Martínez-Carrascal, 2009. "Financing obstacles and growth: An analysis for euro area non-financial corporations," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0836, Banco de Espa�a.
- Segarra Blasco, Agustí, 1958- & Teruel, Mercedes, 2010. "Are small firms more sensitive to financial variables?," Working Papers 2072/151623, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Coluzzi, Chiara & Ferrando, Annalisa & Martinez-Carrascal, Carmen, 2009. "Financing obstacles and growth: an analysis for euro area non-financial corporations," Working Paper Series 0997, European Central Bank.
- Zinych, Nataliya & Odening, Martin, 2009. "How Costly are (Agricultural) Investments during Economic Transition? A Critical Literature Appraisal," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50319, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hessels, Jolanda & Parker, Simon C., 2013. "Constraints, internationalization and growth: A cross-country analysis of European SMEs," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 137-148.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.