Growth and convergence in a model with renewable and non-renewable resources: existence, transitional dynamics, and empirical evidence
AbstractThis paper studies an optimal endogenous growth model using physical capital, labor and two kinds of natural resources in the final goods sector and employing labor to accumulate knowledge. Based on results in calculus of variations, a direct proof of existence of optimal solution is provided. Analytical solutions for the planner case and the balanced growth paths are found for a specific CRRA utility and Cobb-Douglas production function. Transitional dynamics to the steady state from the theoretical model are used to derive three convergence equations of output intensity growth rate, exhaustible resource growth rate and renewable growth rate, which are tested based on data on production and energy consumption in 27 OECD countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LERNA, University of Toulouse in its series LERNA Working Papers with number 10.25.331.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Nguyen, Manh-Hung & Nguyen-Van, Phu, 2010. "Growth and convergence in a model with renewable and non-renewable resources: existence, transitional dynamics, and empirical evidence," TSE Working Papers 10-210, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Manh-Hung Nguyen & Phu Nguyen Van, 2011. "Growth and convergence in a model with renewable and non-renewable resources: existence, transitional dynamics, and empirical evidence," Working Papers 07, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- E13 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Neoclassical
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2011-01-03 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-FDG-2011-01-03 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hippolyte d'Albis & Pascal Gourdel & Cuong Le Van, 2004.
"Existence of solutions in continuous-time optimal growth models,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04063, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Hippolyte d’Albis & Pascal Gourdel & Cuong Le Van, 2008. "Existence of solutions in continuous-time optimal growth models," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 321-333, November.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Pascal Gourdel & Cuong Le Van, 2008. "Existence of Solutions in Continuous-time Optimal Growth Models," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00177269, HAL.
- D'ALBIS Hippolyte & GOURDEL Pascal & LE VAN Cuong, 2007. "Existence of Solutions in Continuous-time Optimal Growth Models," LERNA Working Papers 07.11.232, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxime MARTY).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.