Universitary Financing and Welfare: A Dynamic Analysis with Heterogeneous Agents and Overlapping Generations
AbstractThis paper develops a model in which it is possible to evaluate alternatives of human capital …nancing. The alternative systems under discussion are: total feeing; graduates taxes and uniform taxes (this can be associated to the scheme presently used in the Argentina universitary system). Assessment of the alternatives is performed over welfare, based on the indicators of poverty, equality, equity (justice in the distribution) and the average levels of utility and wealth. Likewise, the functions of welfare presented by Bentham, Rawls, Atkinson, Sen and Kakwani are also considered. The most remarkable results are obtained through the simulation of an economy under three scenarios. In that way, the system of graduates taxation is found to be better for welfare; whereas the system of uniform taxation only can be justi…ed as it maximises the number of students. In addition, an analysis of political economy in this model helps to understand why a system of uniform taxation can be sustainable on the time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata in its series Department of Economics, Working Papers with number 047.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Human Capital; Welfare; Overlapping Generation.;
Other versions of this item:
- Juan M. Sanchez, 2004. "Universitary Financing and Welfare: A Dynamic Analysis with Heterogeneous Agents and Overlapping Generations," Macroeconomics 0402001, EconWPA.
- H1 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government
- I2 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa Escudero, 2000.
"Assessing Aggregate Welfare: Growth and Inequality in Argentina,"
Department of Economics, Working Papers
021, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa, 2001. "Assessing Aggregate Welfare: Growth and Inequality in Argentina," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 38(113), pages 49-71.
- Acemoglu, Daron, 2001.
"Credit market imperfections and persistent unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 665-679, May.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2000. "Credit Market Imperfections and Persistent Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 7938, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huberto Ennis & Alberto Porto, 2001. "Igualdad de Oportunidades e Ingreso a la Universidad Pública en la Argentina," Department of Economics, Working Papers 030, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Browning, Martin & Hansen, Lars Peter & Heckman, James J., 1999.
"Micro data and general equilibrium models,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 543-633
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Elizabeth M. Caucutt & Krishna B. Kumar, 2000.
"Higher Education Subsidies and Heterogeneity, A Dynamic Analysis,"
RCER Working Papers
472, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Caucutt, Elizabeth M. & Kumar, Krishna B., 2003. "Higher education subsidies and heterogeneity: a dynamic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1459-1502, June.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Massimo Morelli & Tomas Sjoström, 2001.
"Credit rationing, wealth inequality, and allocation of talent,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
23-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Massimo Morelli & Tomas Sjostrom, 2002. "Credit Rationing, Wealth Inequality, and Allocation of Talent," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 441, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Massimo Morelli & Tomas Sjostrom, 2002. "Credit Rationing, Wealth Inequality, and Allocation of Talent," Economics Working Papers 0026, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Chen, Hung-ju, 2005.
"Educational systems, growth and income distribution: a quantitative study,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 325-353, April.
- Hung-ju Chen, 2003. "Educational Systems, Growth and Income Distribution: A Quantitative Study," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 13, Society for Computational Economics.
- Christopher Phelan, 2002. "Inequality and fairness," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B, 1992. "Public versus Private Investment in Human Capital Endogenous Growth and Income Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 818-34, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diego Fernandez Felices).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.