An Empirical Study about the Impact of Knowledge Accumulation on the Development of Regional Industry
AbstractThis study mainly investigated two issues: firstly, the existence of a positive relationship between the accumulation of knowledge stocks in regional industries and their value addition, and secondly, the spillover effects of knowledge stocks from the central cities to the surrounding regions, by using patent data as knowledge stock indicators. The empirical result suggests that there are positive impacts of knowledge accumulation to value addition, and there are positive spillover effects to the surrounding regions. The spillover effects are especially clearer when the creators of knowledge stocks are diversified in central cities, and when the industrial structure of surrounding regions is similar to the central cities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 39.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision: May 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
knowledge accumulation; patent; spillover effect; regional industry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property Rights
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2008-04-29 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IPR-2008-04-29 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2008-04-29 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-TID-2008-04-29 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2008-04-29 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.