Invention in the city: Increasing returns to patenting as a scaling function of metropolitan size
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 36 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1997.
"Learning in Cities,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1814, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "New Methods in Statistical Economics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71, pages 421.
- Marshall, Alfred, 1890. "The Principles of Economics," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number marshall1890.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998.
"Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999. "Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- Lee Fleming, 2001. "Recombinant Uncertainty in Technological Search," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 117-132, January.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1991. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sokoloff, Kenneth L., 1988.
"Inventive Activity in Early Industrial America: Evidence From Patent Records, 1790–1846,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 48(04), pages 813-850, December.
- Kenneth L. Sokoloff, 1988. "Inventive Activity in Early Industrial America: Evidence From Patent Records, 1790 - 1846," NBER Working Papers 2707, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth L. Sokoloff, 1988. "Inventive Activity in Early Industrial America: Evidence From Patent Records, 1790-1846," UCLA Economics Working Papers 499, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ezra W. Zuckerman, 2003. "On Networks and Markets by Rauch and Casella, eds," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(2), pages 545-565, June.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Bruce Sacerdote, 1996.
"Why is There More Crime in Cities?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1746, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- H. E. Stanley & V. Plerou, 2001. "Scaling and universality in economics: empirical results and theoretical interpretation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 563-567.
- Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel & Henderson, Rebecca, 1993.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-98, August.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Balconi, Margherita & Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2004. "Networks of inventors and the role of academia: an exploration of Italian patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-145, January.
- L. A. N. Amaral & S. V. Buldyrev & S. Havlin & H. Leschhorn & P. Maass & M. A. Salinger & H. E. Stanley & M. H. R. Stanley, 1997. "Scaling behavior in economics: I. Empirical results for company growth," Papers cond-mat/9702082, arXiv.org.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2004. "Knowledge networks from patent data: Methodological issues and research targets," KITeS Working Papers 150, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jan 2004.
- Almeida, Paul & Kogut, Bruce, 1997. " The Exploration of Technological Diversity and the Geographic Localization of Innovation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 21-31, February.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila, 2002. "Patents and innovation counts as measures of regional production of new knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1069-1085, September.
- Zucker, Lynne G & Darby, Michael R & Armstrong, Jeff, 1998. "Geographically Localized Knowledge: Spillovers or Markets?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 65-86, January.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1999. "Technological entry, exit and survival: an empirical analysis of patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 643-660, August.
- Murray, Fiona, 2002. "Innovation as co-evolution of scientific and technological networks: exploring tissue engineering," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1389-1403, December.
- Gerald Carlino & Satyajit Chatterjee & Robert Hunt, 2005.
"Matching and Learning in Cities: Urban Density and the Rate of Invention,"
784828000000000160, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Gerald Carlino & Satyajit Chatterjee & Robert Hunt, 2005. "Matching and learning in cities: urban density and the rate of invention," Working Papers 04-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2000.
"Knowledge Spillovers And Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa00p362, European Regional Science Association.
- Breschi, Stefano & Lissoni, Francesco, 2001. "Knowledge Spillovers and Local Innovation Systems: A Critical Survey," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 975-1005, December.
- Stefano Breschi & Francesco Lissoni, 2001. "Knowledge spillovers and local innovation systems: a critical survey," LIUC Papers in Economics 84, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Jérôme Chave & Simon Levin, 2003. "Scale and Scaling in Ecological and Economic Systems," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 527-557, December.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Simon Kuznets, 1962. "Inventive Activity: Problems of Definition and Measurement," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 19-52 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orsenigo, L. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001. "Technological change and network dynamics: Lessons from the pharmaceutical industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 485-508, March.
- Caroline Hussler, 2004. "Culture and knowledge spillovers in Europe: New perspectives for innovation and convergence policies?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 523-541.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1989. "Patents as a Measure of Innovative Activity," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 171-80.
- Yusuf, Shahid, 2007. "From creativity to innovation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4262, The World Bank.
- Erik Stam & Jan Lambooy, 2012. "Entrepreneurship, Knowledge, Space, and Place: Evolutionary Economic Geography meets Austrian Economics," Working Papers 12-11, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Herrmann, Benedikt & Kritikos, Alexander S., 2013. "Growing out of the Crisis: Hidden Assets to Greece's Transition to an Innovation Economy," IZA Discussion Papers 7606, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sam Tavassoli & Nunzia Carbonara, 2013. "The Role of Knowledge Variety and Intensity for Regional Innovative Capability - Swedish evidence," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1317, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2013.
- Breschi, Stefano & Catalini, Christian, 2010. "Tracing the links between science and technology: An exploratory analysis of scientists' and inventors' networks," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 14-26, February.
- Ron Boschma & Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Dieter Franz Kogler, 2013. "Relatedness and Technological Change in Cities: The rise and fall of technological knowledge in U.S. metropolitan areas from 1981 to 2010," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1316, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Sep 2013.
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2013. "The Geography of Patenting In India: Patterns and Determinants," MPRA Paper 50595, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lobo, José & Strumsky, Deborah, 2008. "Metropolitan patenting, inventor agglomeration and social networks: A tale of two effects," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 871-884, May.
- Simon Condliffe & William Latham & Christian Le Bas & Frédéric Miribel, 2008. "Agglomeration Economies within IT-Producing and IT-Consuming Industries in U.S. Regions," Working Papers 08-24, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- David Levinson, 2011. "Network Structure and City Size," Working Papers 000094, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Lobo, José & Mellander, Charlotta & Stolarick, Kevin & Strumsky, Deborah, 2012. "The Inventive, the Educated, and the Creative: How Do They Affect Metropolitan Productivity?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 263, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Koen Frenken & Elena Cefis & Erik Stam, 2011. "Industrial dynamics and economic geography: a survey," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 11-07, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Otto Raspe & Frank Oort, 2011. "Growth of new firms and spatially bounded knowledge externalities," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(3), pages 495-518, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.