Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game
AbstractThis paper assesses the impact of a dramatic reform of the Dutch pension system on mental health, savings behavior and retirement expectations of workers nearing retirement age. The reform means that public sector workers born on January 1, 1950 or later face a substantial reduction in their pension rights while workers born before this threshold date may still retire under the old, more generous rules. We employ a unique matched survey and administrative data set comprising male public sector workers born in 1949 and 1950 and find strong ex ante effects on mental health for workers who are affected by the reform. This effect increases as birth dates approach the threshold date. Furthermore, the effects differ in accordance with worker characteristics. Finally, we find that the response of those affected by the reform is to work longer and to save more.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 4034.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Economic Journal, 2012, 122 (559), 1–25
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Andries De Grip & Maarten Lindeboom & Raymond Montizaan, 2012. "Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(559), pages 1-25, 03.
- Grip Andries de & Lindeboom Maarten & Montizaan Raymond, 2009. "Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," Research Memoranda 003, Maastricht : ROA, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market.
- Grip Andries de & Lindeboom Maarten & Montizaan Raymond, 2009. "Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," ROA Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2009-03-14 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2009-03-14 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.