Intra-Industry Trade and Revealed Comparative Advantage: An Inverted-U Relationship
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between all types of intra-industry trade (IIT) and comparative advantage. The paper finds strong evidence of an inverted-U relationship.The results also suggest that relative autarky costs is a common determinant for any type of IIT, which contradicts the prediction made by theory for separating the determinants of horizontal and vertical IIT.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2008/03.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
intra-industry trade; horizontal intra-industry trade; vertical intra-industry trade; comparative advantage.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-01-26 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INT-2008-01-26 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner & Robert Elliott, 1994. "Adjustment and the measurement of marginal intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(2), pages 418-427, June.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- P. Tharakan & Birgit Kerstens, 1995. "Does North-South horizontal intra-industry trade really exist? An analysis of the toy industry," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 86-105, March.
- Fithra Faisal Hastiadi, 2012. "The Determinants of China-Japan-Koreas Vertical Intra Industry Trade to ASEAN4 countries," Working Papers in Economics and Business 201205, Faculty of Economics, University of Indonesia, revised May 2012.
- Fithra Faisal Hastiadi, 2011. "East Asian Regionalism: The Need For Asean+3 Fta," Journal of Global Business and Economics, Global Research Agency, vol. 3(1), pages 31-56, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.