Integration of CEECs into EU Markets: Structural Change and Convergence
AbstractThe Central and Eastern European Countries (CEECs) have gone through a dramatic process of industrial restructuring in which the Europe Agreements have played a major role. Using detailed statistics, we analyse the transformation of CEECs’ export structures and whether it led to structural convergence with the remaining EU members. We also analyse structural transformation within sectors in terms of quality ranges. The results show that, in general terms, CEECs have converged both at inter and intra-sectoral levels towards pre-existing EU members. We discuss whether further restructuring and relocation of CEECs’ industrial patterns are probable in the aftermath of EU membership.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers Department of Economics with number 2004/15.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, University of Lisbon, Rua do Quelhas 6, 1200-781 LISBON, PORTUGAL
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Central and Eastern European Countries; Europe Agreements; Export Structure; Structural Change; Structural Convergence.;
Other versions of this item:
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007. "Integration of CEECs into EU Market: Structural Change and Convergence," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 611-632, 09.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Redding, Stephen J & Venables, Anthony J., 2000.
"Economic Geography and International Inequality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2568, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," CEP Discussion Papers dp0495, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic Geography and International Inequality," International Trade 0103003, EconWPA.
- Stephen Redding & Anthony J. Venables, 2001. "Economic geography and international inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura & Frank Barry, 2004.
"EU Enlargement and the Portuguese Economy,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 781-802, 06.
- Michael Landesmann & Robert Stehrer, 2002. "Trade Structures, Quality Differentiation and Technical Barriers in CEE-EU Trade," wiiw Research Reports 282, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- K.H. Midelfart & H.G. Overman & S.J. Redding & A.J. Venables, 2000. "The location of European industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 142, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Kaminski, Bartlomiej, 2001. "How accession to the European Union has affected external trade and foreign direct investment in Central European economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2578, The World Bank.
- Nilsson, Lars, 2000. "Trade integration and the EU economic membership criteria," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 807-827, November.
- Luca De Benedictis & Lucia Tajoli, 2003. "Economic integration, similarity and convergence in the EU and CEECs trade structures," KITeS Working Papers 148, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2003.
- Paas, Tiiu, 2003. "Regional Integration and International Trade in the Context of EU Eastward Enlargement," HWWA Discussion Papers 218, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1994.
"The possibility of factor price equalization, revisited,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 167-175, February.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1991. "The Possibility of Factor Price Equalization, Revisited," Working Papers 277, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Henriot, Alain & InotaÃ¯, AndrÃ¡s, 1998. "What Future for the Integration of the European Union and the Central and Eastern European Countries?Eastern European Countries?," UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, Working Paper Series qt3gn5p8qx, UCAIS Berkeley Roundtable on the International Economy, UC Berkeley.
- repec:fth:eeccco:142 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2003. "Gravity-defying trade," Working Papers 03-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Michael A. Landesmann, 2003. "Structural features of economic integration in an enlarged Europe: patterns of catching-up and industrial specialisation," European Economy - Economic Papers 181, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- repec:wii:bpaper:bowp:030 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joze P. Damijan & Matija Rojec & Maja Ferjancic, 2008. "Growing export performance of transition economies: EU market access versus supply capacity factors," LICOS Discussion Papers 20208, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Aleksandra Parteka, 2009. "The EU enlargement and domestic employment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2202-2217.
- Nuno Crespo & Nádia Simões & José Duarte, 2013. "Competition in tourism arrivals – A multidimensional index of geographical structural similarity," Working Papers Series 2 13-05, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Lucian-Liviu Albu, 2012. "Structural Convergence in European Union," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 4, pages 1-10, December.
- Gabor Bekes & Balazs Murakozy & Zsuzsa Munkacsi & Gabor Oblath, 2013. "Unit Values, Unit Labor Costs and Trade Performance in Four Central European Countries," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1329, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Alessia Lo Turco & Aleksandra Parteka, 2009. "Empirical investigation on labour market interactions in an enlarged Europe," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 40(1), pages 87-105.
- Crespo, Nuno & Simões, Nádia, 2012. "On the measurement of a multidimensional concept of structural similarity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 115-117.
- Goran Nikolić, 2013. "Is There A Structural Improvement In The Merchandise Exports Of The Balkan Countries In The Period 2000-2012?," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 58(196), pages 99-132, January â.
- Imre Ferto & Stefan Bojnec, 2012. "EU Enlargement and Agro-Food Export Performance on EU Market Segments," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1206, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Soon, Siew-Voon & Boršič, Darja, 2013. "Real interest parity in Central and Eastern European countries: Evidence on integration into EU and the US markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 163-180.
- Kaitila, Ville, 2010. "Quality-adjusted similarity of EU-countriesŽ export structure," Discussion Papers 1227, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Jože P. Damijan & Matija Rojec & Maja Ferjančič, 2011. "The Growing Export Performance of Transition Economies: EU Market Access versus Supply Capacity Factors," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(4), pages 489-509, December.
- Bojnec, Stefan & Ferto, Imre, 2009. "Former Central European Free Trade Agreement countriesâ€™ agri-food trade specialisation," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(8).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.