Tourism and Growth in European Countries: An Application of Likelihood-Based Panel Cointegration
AbstractThe tourism and economic growth relationship is investigated for a panel of European countries over the period 1988–2010. The results reveal that the variables contain a panel unit root and they cointegrate in a panel perspective. The findings show that tourism enhance economic growth for some countries in the sample.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL) in its series Working Papers Series 1 with number ercwp0510.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 15 May 2010
Date of revision:
Tourism; Economic growth; Rank tests; Panel unit root tests; Panel cointegration;
Other versions of this item:
- Felipa de Mello-Sampayo & Sofia de Sousa-Vale, 2012. "Tourism and Growth in European Countries: An Application of Likelihood-Based Panel Cointegration," Working Papers 2012/17, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Longitudinal Data; Spatial Time Series
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001.
"Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998. "Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- MOON, Hyungsik Roger & PERRON, Benoit., 2002.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Panels with Dynamic Factors,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-18, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Moon, H.R.Hyungsik Roger & Perron, Benoit, 2004. "Testing for a unit root in panels with dynamic factors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 81-126, September.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jorda, 2002.
"Tourism as a long-run economic growth factor: the Spanish case,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 34(7), pages 877-884.
- Jacint Balaguer & Manuel Cantavella-Jordá, 2000. "Tourism As A Long-Run Economic Growth Factor: The Spanish Case," Working Papers. Serie EC 2000-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Salih Katircioglu, 2009. "Tourism, trade and growth: the case of Cyprus," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(21), pages 2741-2750.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan, 1999.
"Likelihood-Based Inference in Multivariate Panel Cointegration Models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
331, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen, 2000. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Multivariate Panel Cointegration Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1313, Econometric Society.
- Juan Luis Eugenio-Martín & Noelia Martín Morales & Riccardo Scarpa, 2004. "Tourism and Economic Growth in Latin American Countries: A Panel Data Approach," Working Papers 2004.26, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Lokman Gunduz & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2005. "Is the tourism-led growth hypothesis valid for Turkey?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 499-504.
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Dragouni, Mina & Filis, George, 2013.
"Time-Varying Interdependencies of Tourism and Economic Growth: Evidence from European Countries,"
48715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mina Dragouni & George Filis & Nikolaos Antonakakis, 2013. "Time-Varying Interdependencies of Tourism and Economic Growth: Evidence from European Countries," FIW Working Paper series 128, FIW.
- B. Biagi & C. Detotto, 2010. "Crime as tourism externality," Working Paper CRENoS 201015, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- João Sousa Andrade & Marta Simões & Adelaide Duarte, 2013. "Despesa Pública em Educação e Saúde e Crescimento Económico: Um Contributo para o Debate sobre as Funções Sociais do Estado," GEMF Working Papers 2013-18, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henrique Monteiro).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.