Forecasting Using Functional Coefficients Autoregressive Models
AbstractThe use of linear parametric models for forecasting economic time series is widespread among practitioners, in spite of the fact that there is a large evidence of the presence of non-linearities in many of such time series. However, the empirical results stemming from the use of non-linear models are not always as good as expected. This has been sometimes associated to the difficulty in correctly specifying a non-linear parametric model. I this paper I cope with this issue by using a more general non-parametric approach, which can be used both as a preliminary tool for aiding in specifying a suitable parametric model and as an autonomous modelling strategy. The results are promising, in that the non-parametric approach achieve a good forecasting record for a considerable number of series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY) in its series ISAE Working Papers with number 98.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Non-linear Time-Series Models; Non-Parametric Models.;
Other versions of this item:
- Bruno, Giancarlo, 2008. "Forecasting Using Functional Coefficients Autoregressive Models," MPRA Paper 42335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-08-06 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-08-06 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2008-08-06 (Forecasting)
- NEP-ORE-2008-08-06 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005.
"Forecasting economic variables with nonlinear models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
598, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 29 Dec 2005.
- Terasvirta, Timo, 2006. "Forecasting economic variables with nonlinear models," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1997-59 is not listed on IDEAS
- Terasvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick & Medeiros, Marcelo C., 2005.
"Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions, and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A re-examination,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 755-774.
- Teräsvirta, Timo & van Dijk, Dick & Medeiros, Marcelo, 2004. "Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions, and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A re-examination," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 561, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 04 Nov 2004.
- Timo Teräsvirta & Dick van Dijk & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros, 2004. "Linear models, smooth transition autoregressions and neural networks for forecasting macroeconomic time series: A reexamination," Textos para discussÃ£o 485, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Harvill, Jane L. & Ray, Bonnie K., 2005. "A note on multi-step forecasting with functional coefficient autoregressive models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 717-727.
- Harvey, David I & Leybourne, Stephen J & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Tests for Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 254-59, April.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1998-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fan, Jianqing & Yao, Qiwei & Cai, Zongwu, 2003.
"Adaptive varying co-efficient linear models,"
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Cai, Zongwu & Fan, Jianqing & Yao, Qiwei, 2000. "Functional-coefficient regression models for nonlinear time series," Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1998. "A Comparison of Linear and Nonlinear Univariate Models for Forecasting Macroeconomic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 6607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & White, Halbert & Granger, Clive W. J., 1993.
"Testing for neglected nonlinearity in time series models : A comparison of neural network methods and alternative tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 269-290, April.
- Tom Doan, . "REGWHITENNTEST: RATS procedure to perform White neural network test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00183, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGRESET: RATS procedure to perform Ramsey RESET test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00181, Boston College Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.