(String Matching Algorithms,An Applicatione ti ISAE and ISTAT Firms's Registers)
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to develop algorithms for the matching of strings from two different registers of Italian enterprises. This makes effective the possibility of integrating the firm-level information collected by ISAE (Institute for Studies and Economic Analyses) with the one gathered by the Italian NSI. The name of the company is the reference information used for string matching. The first procedure is based on a backward recursive application of the critical factorization method. In the second algorithm, a shifting rule is defined based on the positions of blanks within the reference text T. About 80% of the units in ISAE register of business enterprises have been exactly matched. This suggests that the role of firms’ demography should be adequately taken into account to get satisfactory results and confirms the reliability of the proposed algorithms. Some structural characteristics of ISAE sampled firms can be now accounted for.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY) in its series ISAE Working Papers with number 115.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
String matching algorithms; critical factorization method; shifting rule; firms' registers; firms’ demography.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Malgarini, Marco & Margani, Patrizia & Martelli, Bianca Maria, 2005.
"Re-engineering the ISAE manufacturing survey,"
42440, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.