Firm Growth, Size, Age and Behavior in Japanese Manufacturing
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship between firm growth and firm size, firm age and firm behavior, such as R&D activity and subcontracting, based on the data of nearly 14,000 Japanese manufacturing firms. “The stylized facts” that firm size and age have a negative effect on firm growth are confirmed in the case of Japanese manufacturing firms. Also, a firm’s survivability rises with its size and age. R&D expenditure per employee has a significant positive effect on firm growth, which justifies the argument made by Hall (1987). Although subcontracting to only one company has no significant effect on firm growth, it has a significant positive effect on a firm’s survivability. In addition, subcon-tracting firms depending on only one company as a customer are subject to no significant age effects. This possibly suggests that the age effect itself has some relation to the extent of the trade network. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B & Klomp, Luuk & Thurik, A R Roy, 1997.
"Do Services Differ From Manufacturing? The Post-Entry Performance of Firms in Dutch Services,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1718, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D.B. Audretsch & Luuk Klomp & A.R. Thurik, 1998. "Do Services differ from Manufacturing? The Post-Entry Performance of Firms in Dutch Services," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-012/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 2001.
"Risk sharing in the supplier relationship: new evidence from the Japanese automotive industry,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 361-381, August.
- Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 1997. "Risk sharing in the supplier relationship: new evidence from the Japanese automotive industry," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Dynamics FS IV 97-18, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Evans, David S, 1987.
"Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-74, August.
- Evans, David S., 1986. "Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth," Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University 86-36, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Martin N. Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994.
"Downsizing and productivity growth: myth or reality?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
94-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Baily, Martin Neil & Bartelsman, Eric J & Haltiwanger, John, 1996. " Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 259-78, August.
- John Haltiwanger & Martin N Baily & Eric J Bartelsman, 1994. "Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," Working Papers 94-4, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Martin Neil Baily & Eric J. Bartelsman & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "Downsizing and Productivity Growth: Myth or Reality?," NBER Working Papers 4741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad & Woywode, Michael, 1998.
"Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms--Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 453-88, December.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad O. & Woywode, Michael, 1996. "Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms - Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McPherson, Michael A., 1996. "Growth of micro and small enterprises in southern Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 253-277, March.
- Kawasaki, Seiichi & McMillan, John, 1987. "The design of contracts: Evidence from Japanese subcontracting," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 327-349, September.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N. & Kraybill, David S., 1992. "Empirical evidence on determinants of firm growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 31-36, January.
- Taye Mengistae, 1995.
"Age-size effects in productive efficiency: a second test of the passive learning model,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1996-02, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Taye Mengistae, 1996. "Age-size effects in productive efficiency: a second test of the passive learning model," CSAE Working Paper Series 1996-02, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Aaronovitch, Sam & Sawyer, Malcolm C, 1975. "Mergers, Growth, and Concentration," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 136-55, March.
- repec:fth:oxesaf:96-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anna Giunta & Domenico Scalera & Annamaria Nifo, 2008. "Divisione del lavoro, crescita e divari di performance nell'industria italiana degli anni '90," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0097, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Jan de Kok & Haibo Zhou & Chantal Hartog & Peter van der Zwan, 2012. "The Risk of growing fast: does fast growth have a negative impact on the survival rates of firms?," Scales Research Reports H201209, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Alex Coad & Jaganaddha Tamvada, 2012. "Firm growth and barriers to growth among small firms in India," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 383-400, September.
- Gavin C Reid & Zhibin Xu, 2009. "Growth and Survival Determinants of Chinese Private Firms: Fieldwork evidence and econometric estimates," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0913, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Marco Vivarelli, 2013. "Is entrepreneurship necessarily good? Microeconomic evidence from developed and developing countries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 1453-1495, December.
- Giulio Cainelli & Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2014.
"Spatial agglomeration and firm exit: a spatial dynamic analysis for Italian provinces,"
Small Business Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 213-228, June.
- Giulio Cainelli & Sandro Montresor & Giuseppi Vittucci Marzetti, 2013. "Spatial agglomeration and firm exit: a spatial dynamic analysis for Italian provinces," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0173, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Gavin Reid & Zhibin Xu, 2012. "Generalising Gibrat: using Chinese evidence founded on fieldwork," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 1017-1028, November.
- Nunes, Paulo Maçãs & Serrasqueiro, Zélia & Leitão, João, 2012. "Is there a linear relationship between R&D intensity and growth? Empirical evidence of non-high-tech vs. high-tech SMEs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 36-53.
- Alonso-Almeida, María del Mar, 2013. "Influence of gender and financing on tourist company growth," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 621-631.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00155762 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joseph LiPuma & Scott Newbert & Jonathan Doh, 2013. "The effect of institutional quality on firm export performance in emerging economies: a contingency model of firm age and size," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 817-841, May.
- Martin Falk, 2012. "Quantile estimates of the impact of R&D intensity on firm performance," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 19-37, July.
- Paulo Nunes & Marco Gonçalves & Zélia Serrasqueiro, 2013. "The influence of age on SMEs’ growth determinants: empirical evidence," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 249-272, February.
- Alexander Coad & Jagannadha Pawan Tamvada, 2008. "The Growth and Decline of Small firms In Developing Countries," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-08, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Andres Jung & Cecilia Plottier, 2011. "Firm growth in a regional trade integration context," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1502, European Regional Science Association.
- Jan de Kok & Haibo Zhou & Chantal Hartog, 2012. "The risk of growing fast," Scales Research Reports H201119, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Paulo MaÃ§Ã£s Nunes & Alcina Almeida, 2009. "The quadratic relationship between intangible assets and growth in Portuguese SMEs," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 11(25), pages 151-158, February.
- Oriol Amat & Marcos Antón Renart & María José García, 2013. "Factors that determine the evolution of high-growth businesses," Economics Working Papers 1377, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- García-Manjón, Juan V. & Romero-Merino, M. Elena, 2012. "Research, development, and firm growth. Empirical evidence from European top R&D spending firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1084-1092.
- Kounetas, Kostas & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2008. "The energy efficiency paradox revisited through a partial observability approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2517-2536, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.