Politics and Fiscal Policy under Lemass: A Theoretical Appraisal
AbstractLemass rejected Whitaker’s recommendations that direct taxes be reduced and public investment shifted from social to productive areas. This was arguably done for political reasons and because Lemass believed that it might be possible to establish a social partnership deal of the type that Eichengreen has argued to have played a crucial role in post-war European convergence on US living standards. Such a bargain could not be reached under Ireland’s industrial-relations system however. The present paper contrasts the two systems and shows the adverse employment, investment and growth effects that such attempts would have had in Ireland.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IIIS in its series The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series with number iiisdp292.
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:eso:journl:v:40:y:2009:i:2:p:183-205 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frank Barry, 2003. "Economic Integration and Convergence Processes in the EU Cohesion Countries," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 897-921, December.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, 2000.
"Unemployment, growth and taxation in industrial countries,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 47-104, 04.
- Francesco Daveri & Guido Tabellini, . "Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries," Working Papers 122, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Daveri, Francesco & Tabellini, Guido, 1997. "Unemployment, Growth and Taxation in Industrial Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eva Mateo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.