Effects on School Enrollment and Performance of a Conditional Transfers Program in Mexico
AbstractWe study the effects of a conditional transfers program on school enrollment and performance in Mexico. We provide a theoretical framework for analyzing the dynamic educational decision and process including the endogeneity and uncertainty of performance (passing grades) and the effect of a conditional cash transfer program for children enrolled at school. Careful identification of the program impact on this model is studied. This framework is used to study the Mexican social program Progresa in which a randomized experiment has been implemented and allows us to identify the effect of the conditional cash transfer program on enrollment and performance at school. Using the rules of the conditional program, we can explain the different incentive effects provided. We also derive the formal identifying assumptions needed to provide consistent estimates of the average treatment effects on enrollment and performance at school. We estimate empirically these effects and find that Progresa had always a positive impact on school continuation whereas for performance it had a positive impact at primary school but a negative one at secondary school, a possible consequence of disincentives due to the program termination after the third year of secondary school. ...French Abstract : Les auteurs Ã©tudient les effets d'un programme de transferts conditionnels sur l'inscription et la performance a l'Ã©cole au Mexique. Ils Ã©laborent un modÃ¨le thÃ©orique permettant d'analyser les dÃ©cisions dynamiques d'Ã©ducation tenant compte de l'endogÃ©nÃ©itÃ© et de l'incertitude sur la performance (redoublement) et l'effet d'un programme conditionnel de transferts pour les enfants inscrits Ã l'Ã©cole. L'identification de l'impact du programme sur ce modÃ¨le est Ã©tudiÃ©e. Ce modÃ¨le est utilisÃ© pour Ã©tudier le programme social mexicain Progresa dans lequel une expÃ©rience randomisÃ©e a Ã©tÃ© implÃ©mentÃ©e et permet d'identifier les effets du programme conditionnel de transferts sur l'inscript
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse in its series IDEI Working Papers with number 114.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision: Sep 2011
Publication status: Published in Journal of Labor Economics, vol.�30, n°3, juillet 2012, p.�555-589.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dubois, P. & De Janvry, A. & Sadoulet, E., 2002. "Effects on school enrollment and performance of a conditional transfers program in Mexico," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 36, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Dubois, Pierre & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2003. "Effects on school enrollment and performance of a conditional transfers program in Mexico," CUDARE Working Paper Series 981, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Dubois, Pierre & de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2003. "Effects on School Enrollment and Performance of a Conditional Transfers Program in Mexico," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt3z1714nj, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- H52 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Education
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher Flinn & Matthew Wiswall, 2014.
"Transfers to Households with Children and Child Development,"
CHILD Working Papers Series
25, Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic Economics (CHILD) - CCA.
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher Flinn & Matthew Wiswall, 2012. "Transfers to Households with Children and Child Development," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 273, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher Flinn & Matthew Wiswall, 2013. "Transfers to Households with Children and Child Development," Working Papers 2013-001, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Paul Glewwe & Ana Lucia Kassouf, 2008.
"The Impact of the Bolsa Escola/Familia Conditional Cash Transfer Program on Enrollment, Drop Out Rates and Grade Promotion in Brazil,"
08_16, Universidade de São Paulo, Faculdade de Economia, Administração e Contabilidade de Ribeirão Preto.
- Glewwe, Paul & Kassouf, Ana Lucia, 2012. "The impact of the Bolsa Escola/Familia conditional cash transfer program on enrollment, dropout rates and grade promotion in Brazil," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 505-517.
- Angelucci, Manuela, 2004. "Aid and Migration: An Analysis of the Impact of Progresa on the Timing and Size of Labour Migration," IZA Discussion Papers 1187, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manacorda, Marco, 2010.
"The Cost of Grade Retention,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gitter, Seth R. & Barham, Bradford L., 2007. "Credit, Natural Disasters, Coffee, and Educational Attainment in Rural Honduras," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 498-511, March.
- Del Rey, Elena & Estevan, Fernanda, 2013.
"Conditional cash transfers and education quality in the presence of credit constraints,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 76-84.
- Elena Del Rey & Fernanda Estevan, 2011. "Conditional Cash Transfers and Education Quality in the Presence of Credit Constraints," Working Papers 1108E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.