Alleinerziehende Mütter im Bereich des SGB II : eine Synopse empirischer Befunde aus der IAB-Forschung
Abstract"From a social policy perspective, single parents - for the most part single mothers - are an important target group. Being solely in charge of both providing for the family's livelihood as well as parental care, the extent to which they can be gainfully employed is often restricted. Their financial situation is often precarious, which is reflected by a four times higher welfare benefit rate of single parent households compared to average households. Based on recent research, the report at hand examines employment and living conditions of single mothers, in particular of recipients of unemployment benefit II (Arbeitslosengeld II). Focusing on this group of single mothers receiving basic income support for needy jobseekers, their labor market participation, work motivation as well as factors associated with the duration of benefit receipt is of paramount interest. Overall results indicate a high labor market orientation of single mothers. Compared to partnered mothers dependent on welfare, single mothers more frequently seek for a job and take up employment. Being employed is an essential aspect of their per-sonal conception of life. Due to various factors though, like a shortage of childcare services, limited demand for labor, or a need to stabilize the family's living conditions, occupational aspirations often cannot be realized. Single mothers most frequently take up marginal jobs, which rarely - even less so compared to partnered mothers - enable them to exit welfare. Besides occupational qualification and experience, the number and age of children significantly impact employment prospects. Adequate childcare services, support of labor market integration as well as family-compatible working conditions are important prerequisites for taking up work, increasing working hours as well as participating in active labor market programs." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its series IAB-Forschungsbericht with number 201308.
Length: 79 pages
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2013
Date of revision:
allein Erziehende; Mütter; Sozialgesetzbuch II; sozioökonomische Faktoren; Grundsicherung nach SGB II; soziale Situation; Arbeitsuche; Selbsteinschätzung; Arbeitsaufnahme; Leistungsbezug - Dauer; Arbeitslosengeld II-Empfänger;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-09-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2013-09-13 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-GER-2013-09-13 (German Papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markus M. Grabka & Jan Goebel & Jürgen Schupp, 2012. "Höhepunkt der Einkommensungleichheit in Deutschland überschritten?," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 79(43), pages 3-15.
- Mark Trappman & Stefanie Gundert & Claudia Wenzig & Daniel Gebhardt, 2010. "PASS – A Household Panel Survey for Research on Unemployment and Poverty," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 130(4), pages 609-622.
- Lietzmann, Torsten, 2010. "Zur Dauer der Bedürftigkeit von Müttern : Dauer des Leistungsbezugs im SGB II und Ausstiegschancen (On the duration of the neediness of mothers : Duration of benefit receipt under Book II of the Soc," IAB Discussion Paper 201008, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Berg, Marco & Cramer, Ralph & Dickmann, Christian & Gilberg, Reiner & Jesske, Birgit & Kleudgen, Martin & Bethmann, Arne & Fuchs, Benjamin & Gebhardt, Daniel, 2011. "Codebuch und Dokumentation des 'Panel Arbeitsmarkt und soziale Sicherung' (PASS) : Band I: Datenreport Welle 4," FDZ Datenreport. Documentation on Labour Market Data 201108_de, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Thomas Lampert & Lars Eric Kroll, 2005. "Einfluss der Einkommensposition auf die Gesundheit und Lebenserwartung," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 527, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.