Partial Linear Quantile Regression and Bootstrap Confidence Bands
AbstractIn this paper uniform confidence bands are constructed for nonparametric quantile estimates of regression functions. The method is based on the bootstrap, where resampling is done from a suitably estimated empirical density function (edf) for residuals. It is known that the approximation error for the uniform confidence band by the asymptotic Gumbel distribution is logarithmically slow. It is proved that the bootstrap approximation provides a substantial improvement. The case of multidimensional and discrete regressor variables is dealt with using a partial linear model. Comparison to classic asymptotic uniform bands is presented through a simulation study. An economic application considers the labour market differential effect with respect to different education levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2010-002.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Bootstrap; Quantile Regression; Confidence Bands; Nonparametric Fitting; Kernel Smoothing; Partial Linear Model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- J01 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics: General
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K & Powell, James L, 1987. "Asymmetric Least Squares Estimation and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 819-47, July.
- Liang, Hua & Li, Runze, 2009. "Variable Selection for Partially Linear Models With Measurement Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 234-248.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Efang Kong & Oliver Linton & Yingcun Xia, 2009.
"Uniform Bahadur Representation for LocalPolynomial Estimates of M-Regressionand Its Application to The Additive Model,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2009/535, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Kong, Efang & Linton, Oliver & Xia, Yingcun, 2010. "Uniform Bahadur Representation For Local Polynomial Estimates Of M-Regression And Its Application To The Additive Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1529-1564, October.
- Kuan, Chung-Ming & Yeh, Jin-Huei & Hsu, Yu-Chin, 2009. "Assessing value at risk with CARE, the Conditional Autoregressive Expectile models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 261-270, June.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1998.
"Bootstrap Methods for Median Regression Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1327-1352, November.
- Robinson, P M, 1988. "Semiparametric Econometrics: A Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(1), pages 35-51, January.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Hahn, Jinyong, 1995. "Bootstrapping Quantile Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 105-121, February.
- Gary S. Becker, 1994. "Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition)," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck94-1.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee & Adam Rosen, 2012.
"Intersection bounds: estimation and inference,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP33/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee & Adam Rosen, 2011. "Intersection bounds: estimation and inference," CeMMAP working papers CWP34/11, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Sokbae 'Simon' Lee & Adam Rosen, 2009. "Intersection Bounds: estimation and inference," CeMMAP working papers CWP19/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Buchinsky, Moshe, 1995. "Quantile regression, Box-Cox transformation model, and the U.S. wage structure, 1963-1987," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 109-154, January.
- Alexandre Belloni & Victor Chernozhukov, 2009. "L1-Penalized quantile regression in high-dimensional sparse models," CeMMAP working papers CWP10/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
- Mengmeng Guo & Wolfgang Härdle, 2012. "Simultaneous confidence bands for expectile functions," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 96(4), pages 517-541, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.