CDO Pricing with Copulae
AbstractModeling the portfolio credit risk is one of the crucial issues of the last years in the financial problems. We propose the valuation model of Collateralized Debt Obligations based on a one- and two-parameter copula and default intensities estimated from market data. The presented method is used to reproduce the spreads of the iTraxx Europe tranches. The two-parameter model incorporates the fact that the risky assets of the CDO pool are chosen from six different industry sectors. The dependency among the assets from the same group is described with the higher value of the copula parameter, otherwise the lower value of the parameter is ascribed. Our approach outperforms the standard market pricing procedure based on the Gaussian distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany in its series SFB 649 Discussion Papers with number SFB649DP2009-013.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
CDO; CDS; multifactor models; multivariate distributions; Copulae; correlation smile;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2009-04-18 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2009-04-18 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tijmen R. Daniels & Henk Jager & Franc Klaassen, 2008.
"Defending against Speculative Attacks,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-090/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 06 Apr 2009.
- Daniëls, Tijmen R. & Jager, Henk & Klaassen, Franc, 2011.
"Currency crises with the threat of an interest rate defence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 14-24, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.