The European Emissions Trading System in Belgium
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the allocation of allowances to Belgian industry during the first phase of EU ETS. Overall, Belgian industry was allocated long during phase 1 but there are marked differences between the regions. Allocations in Flanders were on average less generous than in the other regions and especially the power sector in Flanders has been allocated substantially short. This trend persists in 2008, the first year of Phase 2. The potential impact on economic performance of the companies involved was very limited but this is likely to change in Phase 3 when allowances will be auctioned. Especially for the extraction and cement sector, the potential impact could be large if they cannot transmit the cost increase in their product output prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management in its series Working Papers with number 2009/26.
Length: 23 page
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
CO2 emissions trading; Emission Trading Scheme EU-ETS; National Allocation Plan;
Other versions of this item:
- Eyckmans, Johan & Rousseau, Sandra, 2009. "The European Emissions Trading System in Belgium," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/407944, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Eyckmans, Johan & Rousseau, Sandra, . "The European emissions trading system in Belgium," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/277092, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rogge, Karoline S. & Schleich, Joachim & Betz, Regina, 2006. "An early assessment of national allocation plans for phase 2 of EU emission trading," Working Papers "Sustainability and Innovation" S1/2006, Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI).
- Alberola, Emilie & Chevallier, Julien & Cheze, Benoi^t, 2008. "Price drivers and structural breaks in European carbon prices 2005-2007," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 787-797, February.
- Markussen, Peter & Svendsen, Gert Tinggaard, 2005. "Industry lobbying and the political economy of GHG trade in the European Union," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 245-255, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Janssens).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.