An Alternative System GMM Estimation in Dynamic Panel Models
AbstractThe system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models which combines two moment conditions, i.e., for the differenced equation and for the model in levels, is known to be more efficient than the first-difference GMM estimator. However, an initial optimal weight matrix is not known for the system estimation procedure. Therefore, we suggest the use of 'a suboptimal weight matrix' which may reduce the finite sample bias whilst increasing its efficiency. Using the Kantorovich inequality, we find that the potential efficiency gain becomes large when the variance of individual effects increases compared to the variance of the idiosyncratic errors. (Our Monte Carlo experiments show that the small sample properties of the suboptimal system estimator are shown to be much more reliable than any other conventional system GMM estimator in terms of bias and efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number d07-217.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Dynamic panel data; sub-optimal weighting matrix; KI upper boud;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-08-08 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-08-08 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- César Alonso-Borrego & Rocío Sánchez-Mangas, 2001. "Gmm Estimation Of A Production Function With Panel Data: An Application To Spanish Manufacturing Firms," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws015527, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Hayakawa, Kazuhiko, 2007.
"Small sample bias properties of the system GMM estimator in dynamic panel data models,"
Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 32-38, April.
- Kazuhiko Hayakawa, 2005. "Small Sample Bias Propreties of the System GMM Estimator in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d05-82, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.