Local Public Goods Provision in the Post-Agricultural Tax Era in Rural China
AbstractThis paper investigates regional differences in local public goods provision in rural area in the 2000s, using large village sample surveys (CHIP 2002 and 2007 surveys, a survey in Ningxia). Focuses are on changes in the coverage of public investment projects, regional differences in the determinants of public investment projects, and changes in the coverage of public services provided by village collectives. The main findings are as follows. First, we confirmed that coverage of public investment projects had increased in the 2000s. Second, in spite of concentration of fiscal administration into county level as one of the pillars of the reform of taxation and local fiscal system, administrative villages still played indispensable roles in local public goods provision. Third, we found that incentive of peasants, financial ability of villages, and incentive of local government affect location decision and budget structure of public investment projects and that direction and strength of such factors were different by regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd11-222.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Local Public goods; Village; Local Government; Rural China;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H4 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods
- R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-03-08 (Development)
- NEP-GEO-2012-03-08 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PBE-2012-03-08 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2012-03-08 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-TRA-2012-03-08 (Transition Economics)
- NEP-URE-2012-03-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hiroshi Sato, 2009. "Growth of Villages in China, 1990-2002," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-023, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.