Duration-Based Volatility Estimation
AbstractWe develop a novel approach to estimating the integrated variance of a general jump-diffusion with stochastic volatility. Our approach exploits the relationship between the speed (distance traveled per fixed time unit) and passage time (time taken to travel a fixed distance) of the Brownian motion. The new class of duration-based IV estimators derived in this paper is shown to be robust to both jumps and market microstructure noise. Moreover, their asymptotic and finite sample properties compare favorably to those of commonly used robust IV estimators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University in its series Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series with number gd08-034.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-03-07 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-03-07 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FMK-2009-03-07 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MST-2009-03-07 (Market Microstructure)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:oxf:wpaper:264 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barndorff-Nielsen, Ole E. & Graversen, Svend Erik & Jacod, Jean & Shephard, Neil, 2006.
"Limit Theorems For Bipower Variation In Financial Econometrics,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 677-719, August.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," OFRC Working Papers Series 2005fe09, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Sven Erik Graversen & Jean Jacod & Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," Economics Papers 2005-W06, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Neil Shephard, 2005. "Limit theorems for bipower variation in financial econometrics," Economics Series Working Papers 2005-FE-09, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Peter Reinhard Hansen & Guillaume Horel, 2009. "Quadratic Variation by Markov Chains," CREATES Research Papers 2009-13, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2009.
"Jump-Robust Volatility Estimation using Nearest Neighbor Truncation,"
NBER Working Papers
15533, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Dobrev, Dobrislav & Schaumburg, Ernst, 2012. "Jump-robust volatility estimation using nearest neighbor truncation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 75-93.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2010. "Jump-robust volatility estimation using nearest neighbor truncation," Staff Reports 465, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2009. "Jump-Robust Volatility Estimation using Nearest Neighbor Truncation," CREATES Research Papers 2009-52, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Filip Zikes & Jozef Barunik & Nikhil Shenai, 2012. "Modeling and Forecasting Persistent Financial Durations," Papers 1208.3087, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tatsuji Makino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.