Green Accounting, Air Pollution and Health
AbstractHuman capital is an important component of economic growth. The article extends a theoretical model for comprehensive national accounting to the welfare effects of pollution on human capital. The model includes a production externality in the form of a flow of air pollutants that cause both direct disutility and indirect welfare effects by negatively affecting the productivity of labor. We show that defensive medical expenditures or healthcare costs allocated to mitigating the disutility of air pollution should not be deducted from conventional net national product (NNP), whereas the value of the percieved disutility of illness episodes caused by pollution should be subtracted from NNP. We derive a marginal cost-benefit rule for an optimal level of pollution given its negative health effects. The rule can be used for determining an optimal tax on harmful emissions. Finally, we outline a scheme for empirical comprehensive accounting and for estimation of an emissions tax.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Institute of Economic Research in its series Working Paper with number 82.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 14 May 2003
Date of revision:
Note: This paper is published as: Huhtala,A. and E. Samakovlis (2007), "Flows of Air Pollution, Ill Health and Welfare", Environmental and Resource Economics, 37 (2)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Institute of Economic Research, P.O. Box 3116, SE-103 62 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: 46-(0)8-453 59 00
Fax: 46-(0)8-453 59 80
Web page: http://www.konj.se/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2004-05-26 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2004-05-26 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-HEA-2004-05-16 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ostro, Bart D., 1983. "The effects of air pollution on work loss and morbidity," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 371-382, December.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 2000.
"The linearised Hamiltonian as comprehensive NDP,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 55-68, February.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998. "The Linearized Hamiltonian as Comprehensive NDP," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1845, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Williams, Roberton III, 2002.
"Environmental Tax Interactions when Pollution Affects Health or Productivity,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 261-270, September.
- Roberton C. Williams, 2000. "Environmental Tax Interactions When Pollution Affects Health or Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Lofgren, Karl-Gustaf, 1999. "Pollution tax design and 'Green' national accounting," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(8), pages 1457-1474, August.
- Solow, Robert M, 1986. " On the Intergenerational Allocation of Natural Resources," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 141-49.
- John Strauss & Duncan Thomas, 1998.
"Health, Nutrition, and Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 766-817, June.
- Ahlroth, Sofia, 2000. "Correcting Net Domestic Product for Sulphur Dioxide and Nitrogen Oxide Emissions: Implementation of a Theoretical Model in Practice," Working Paper 73, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Peskin, Henry M & Peskin, Janice, 1978. "The Valuation of Nonmarket Activities in Income Accounting," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 24(1), pages 71-91, March.
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Aaheim, Asbjorn & Nyborg, Karine, 1995. "On the Interpretation and Applicability of a "Green National Product."," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(1), pages 57-71, March.
- Hamilton, Kirk, 1996. "Pollution and Pollution Abatement in the National Accounts," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(1), pages 13-33, March.
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Jaypee Sevilla, 2001. "The Effect of Health on Economic Growth: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 8587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gren, Ing-Marie, 2003. "Monetary Green Accounting and Ecosystem Services," Working Paper 86, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Antipin, Jan-Erik & Boumediene, Farid Jimmy & Österholm, Pär, 2013. "On the Usefulness of Constant Gain Least Squares when Forecasting the Unemployment Rate," Working Paper 129, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Östblom, Göran & Ljunggren Söderman, Maria & Sjöström, Magnus, 2010. "Analysing future solid waste generation - Soft linking a model of waste management with a CGE-model for Sweden," Working Paper 118, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Vartiainen, Juhana, 2010. "Interpreting Wage Bargaining Norms," Working Paper 116, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Lindström, Tomas, 2003. "The Role of High-Tech Capital Formation for Swedish Productivity Growth," Working Paper 83, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Österholm, Pär & Mossfeldt, Marcus, 2010.
"The Persistent Labour-Market Effects of the Financial Crisis,"
117, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Marcus Mossfeldt & Par Osterholm, 2011. "The persistent labour-market effects of the financial crisis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(7), pages 637-642.
- Östblom, Göran & Samakovlis, Eva, 2004. "Costs of Climate Policy when Pollution Affects Health and Labour Productivity. A general Equilibrium Analysis Applied to Sweden," Working Paper 93, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Mohajan, Haradhan, 2011. "Valuing health impacts of the workers in Bangladesh due to air pollution," MPRA Paper 50697, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 May 2011.
- Forslund, Johanna & Samakovlis, Eva & Vredin Johansson, Maria, 2006. "Matters Risk? The Allocation of Government Subsidies for Remediation of Contaminated Sites under the Local Investment Programme," Working Paper 94, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Österholm, Pär, 2013. "Survey Data and Short-Term Forecasts of Swedish GDP Growth," Working Paper 130, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Beechey, Meredith & Österholm, Pär, 2013. "Central Bank Forecasts of Policy Interest Rates: An Evaluation of the First Years," Working Paper 128, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Österholm, Pär, 2013. "Forecasting Business Investment in the Short Term Using Survey Data," Working Paper 131, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Boman, Mattias & Huhtala, Anni & Nilsson, Charlotte & Alroth, Sofia & Bostedt, Göran & Mattssson, Leif & Gong, Peichen, 2003. "Applying the Contingent Valuation Method in Resource Accounting: A Bold Proposal," Working Paper 85, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Mohajan, Haradhan, 2011. "Air pollution causes health effects and net national product of a country decreases: a theoretical framework," MPRA Paper 50858, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 May 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Henrik Hellström).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.