The Linearized Hamiltonian as Comprehensive NDP
AbstractFor guidance in determining which items should be included in comprehensive NDP and how they should be included, reference is often made to the linearized Hamiltonian from an optimal growth problem. This note shows how the heuristic linearized-Hamiltonian argument can be given a rigorous welfare justification in terms of a money-metric utility function that is "naturally normalized" to be conformable with consumption at the time, of measurement. The implied normalization is of the same type as is required to interpret the "area under the demand curve" as a constant-dollar-denominated true measure of consumer's surplus. The concept of the "sustainability-equivalence principle" is explained, and is indicated why this principle is of basic importance for the theory of national income accounting.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute of Economic Research in its series Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers with number 1845.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huhtala, Anni & Toppinen, Anne & Boman, Mattias, 2001. "An Environmental Accountant`s Dilemma: Are Stumpage Prices Reliable Indicators of Resource Scarcity?," Working Paper 77, National Institute of Economic Research.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompqllr09hi4j70a29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Céline Antonin & Thomas Melonio & Xavier Timbeau, 2011.
"L’épargne nette ré-ajustée,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Hassan, Rashid & Ngwenya, Phindile, 2006. "Valuing forest services missing from the national accounts: The contribution of cultivated forests to wealth accumulation in Swaziland," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 249-260, December.
- Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Goran Maler, 1998. "Decentralization Schemes, Cost-Benefit-Analysis, and Net National Product as a Measure of Social Well-Being," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers 12, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Hediger, Werner, 2010. "Welfare and capital-theoretic foundations of corporate social responsibility and corporate sustainability," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 518-526, August.
- Azqueta, Diego & Sotelsek, Daniel, 2007. "Valuing nature: From environmental impacts to natural capital," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 22-30, June.
- Yacov Tsur & Amos Zemel, 2008. "Regulating environmental threats," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(3), pages 297-310, March.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 2006. "Welfare measurement under threats of environmental catastrophes," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 421-429, July.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 2006. "Regulating Environmental Threats," Discussion Papers 7150, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Figueroa B., Eugenio & Orihuela R., Carlos & Calfucura T., Enrique, 2010. "Green accounting and sustainability of the Peruvian metal mining sector," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 156-167, September.
- Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "The Economics of Non-Convex Ecosystems: Introduction," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 499-525, December.
- Huhtala, Anni & Samakovlis, Eva, 2003. "Green Accounting, Air Pollution and Health," Working Paper 82, National Institute of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.