On Revenue and Welfare Dominance of Ad Valorem Taxes in Two-Sided Markets
AbstractA benchmark result in public economics is that it is possible to increase both tax revenue and welfare by making a monopoly subject to ad valorem taxes rather than unit taxes. We show that such revenue and welfare dominance does not hold in two-sided markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 2009/9.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 15 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Ad Valorem Taxes; Unit Taxes; Two-Sided Markets; Revenue-Dominance; Welfare-Dominance; Monopoly;
Other versions of this item:
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2009. "On revenue and welfare dominance of ad valorem taxes in two-sided markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 86-88, August.
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2009-11-14 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2009-11-14 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Jarle Kind & Marko Köthenbürger & Guttorm Schjelderup, 2008.
"Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2262, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008. "Efficiency enhancing taxation in two-sided markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(5-6), pages 1531-1539, June.
- Kind, Hans Jarle & Koethenbuerger, Marko & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2008. "Efficiency Enhancing Taxation in Two-sided Markets," Discussion Papers 2008/1, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Evans David S., 2003. "Some Empirical Aspects of Multi-sided Platform Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-19, September.
- Goerke, Laszlo, 2011.
"The optimal structure of commodity taxation in a monopoly with tax avoidance or evasion,"
University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance
8, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2012. "The Optimal Structure of Commodity Taxation in a Monopoly with Tax Avoidance or Evasion," Public Finance Review, , vol. 40(4), pages 519-536, July.
- Aiura, Hiroshi & Ogawa, Hikaru, 2013. "Unit tax versus ad valorem tax: A tax competition model with cross-border shopping," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 30-38.
- Laszlo Goerke & Frederik Herzberg & Thorsten Upmann, 2012.
"Failure of Ad Valorem and Specific Tax Equivalence under Uncertainty,"
IAAEU Discussion Papers
201205, Institute of Labour Law and Industrial Relations in the European Union (IAAEU).
- Laszlo Goerke & Frederik Herzberg & Thorsten Upmann, 2012. "Failure of Ad Valorem and Specific Tax Equivalence under Uncertainty," CESifo Working Paper Series 3946, CESifo Group Munich.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011.
"Commodity Tax Structure under Uncertainty in a Perfectly Competitive Market,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3339, CESifo Group Munich.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2011. "Commodity tax structure under uncertainty in a perfectly competitive market," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 203-219, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.