On the estimation of correlations for irregularly spaced time series
AbstractIn this paper, the problem of calculating covariances and correlations between time series which are observed irregularly and at different points in time, is treated. The problem of dependence between the time stamp process and the return process is especially highlighted and the solution to this problem for a special case is given. Furthermore, estimators based on different interpolation methods are investigated. The covariances are in turn used to estimate a simple regression on such data. In particular, the difference of first order integrated processes, I(1) processes, are considered. These methods are relevant for stock returns and consequently of importance in e.g. portfolio optimization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 2007/19.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Irregularly spaced time series; covariance; correlation; financial returns;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-09-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2007-09-09 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jong, F.C.J.M. de & Nijman, T.E., 1995.
"High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets,"
1995-34, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- de Jong, Frank & Nijman, Theo, 1997. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 259-277, June.
- Nijman, T.E. & Jong, F.C.J.M. de, 1997. "High frequency analysis of lead-lag relationships between financial markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-74206, Tilburg University.
- De Jong, Frank & Mahieu, Ronald & Schotman, Peter, 1998. "Price discovery in the foreign exchange market: an empirical analysis of the yen/dmark rate1, 2," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 5-27, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.